Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

oops...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops...

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while since I bought my Cat early this year. (It's a '05 500 4x4 manual) Well, I was out at Carnegie yesterday and had a oops. I went up a hill that was a bit too steep, made it up to the crest and lost all momentum, started spinning the tires, then dropped into a rut. The thing that followed is a thing of horror. Take a look:

Photos

Here's a the rest...

It backflipped and I jumped free. It happened in total slow-motion and I watched all of the horror of it doing cartwheels all the way down the hill climb, over the access trail, and then past down the mountain. Luckly it stopped shortly after the trail, because if it didn't it was going down a steep mountain for a loooong ways.

The best part... Once we righted the quad, it started right up and was able to assist in it's recovery. It was powered and pulled back up to the road, then limped a little at a time back down to the base. totall damage so far guessed, other than all body work, is the frame looks bent, and the right rear lower a-arm broke, and thus looks like it's broken one of the shaft u-joints.

I'm looking into my financing company to see if they carry insurance on it. (my bad for not doing it myself) ... If not, then I think parting it out is the only answer. The engine is perfect and is wayyy low milage. This quad's life has been putting around race sites pulling my PWC's in and out of the water. Poor thing, barely got out to be used, then this happens. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

aw come on its just a scatch!JK

Good thing ur ok!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

Wow, that is horrible! thank god your ok and I hope its insured some how because that thing is totaled!

Old 12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default oops...

The correct term is "OOPS!!!!!!!". The "oops" implies a little screw up and yours does not qualify as a little one. Glad to hear you were able to bail.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

the machine can be replaced, you can't be. a person has to look at it like oh well it is only a fourwheeler and it is only money i got my life and my health still. and dang you did a good job on that one.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Range Rover
Default oops...

hmmm...... I didn't know you were on this site too!

Old 12-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default oops...

Good to hear you survived it. Lots of people hang on for dear life, and end up getting hurt. It takes some foresite and thought , and courage to know to let it go, when trouble happens. Its not easy seeing that much uninsured money go trashing down the hill.

All might not be lost. If its not insured, just part it out on ebay. I swear guys make a living doing this. Ive seen guys buy a total wreak, pull each individual peice off and sell it all, except the frame. They make way more than they paid, but unfortunetly you probably wont, but im sure youll make at least 3000 selling the peices.

Good luck

Old 12-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Quad Patrol
Default oops...

Glad you were able to jump clear of the machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Carnegie has taken it's toll on many machines and riders[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It definately put a whooping to yours[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Usually when a machine looks like yours, the rider is taken out via helicopter.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default oops...

DUDE, May the ATV gods shine on insurabce for you. Its great you could bail, but that looks worse than when the tractor rolled into the shed and crushed the BIG RED in 84. But good luck on getting a new one.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

I looked at the pictures and I don't see it being that badly damaged. Totaled? Maybe for a shop repair aka insurance but I've put worse that that back on the trail. Once you strip off the front and rear rackage and plastic you will be able to tell what structual damage exists. A-arms and CV joints are piece of cake. If the frame is bent - un bend it - they do that with cars every day. I used a 2x4 and pryed my racks back into place. There is a chain wrapped around the light post next to my garage for one end of the quad and I use the F-350 with a chain on it to apply force where required. A little welding here and there - and it can be A-OK for years. I still trail ride and plow snow with mine. That plastic bounces back pretty good also unless cracked.

Gone over bacwards myself - many broken bones - still not right. Good job on getting clear of the machine and saving your butt. Hardware comes and goes. Battle damage lasts forever.

Quick Reply: oops...