Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

winch: synthetic rope or cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch: synthetic rope or cable?

Originally posted by: BlueOne
What kind of lights are those,and how did you connect the strap,smart thinking there,are the lights on only when you back-up, thanks.
Before I did anything, I called Warn for their approval, and they said "go for it". The strap is a cargo hold-down strap (not the streatchable tow strap kind). On the drum, I drilled 3 holes 1/8" in size, and used shallow headed self-tapping pan head screws to attach the strap. About 14' of strap filled the drum. I have used this system for 3 years, with no problems.

I bought the lights (55 watt haleogen) at Auto Zone for $26. They are back-up lights intended to be mounted on the rear of a tow vehicle, mounted to the tow bar. The lights come on automatically when I shift into reverse. The Vinson was pre-wired from the factory for back-up lights. The pigtails were located by the rear storage compartment.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

any problems with the 55watts and our system being able to handle that? what be nice to change our front lights to a brighter light system,either light front two or the single one! Thanks for your help!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

any problems with the 55watts and our system being able to handle that? what be nice to change our front lights to a brighter light system,either light front two or the single one! Thanks for your help!
I do a lot of plowing after dark, with no problems.

Brighter Light

Old 02-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

I got real tired of freyed cable chewin the he!! out of my gloves/hands....plus it kinks up.....I've had them snap and its real scary!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I bought the 3/16 plasma rope from MasterPull and it's awesome. I've had it for 2 years now and I will never buy cable again. I do take the rope off in the winter and install a 10' cable for use with my plow though.

As far as installing the rope on the drum....it will need a little modification.....I drilled a hole and tapped in threads for a bolt.....I may have pictures that I can post....then again they may be lost.

The rope is stronger, safer, and lighter. The sun, mud and grit will wear it but it will still last longer than cable. Cables generally lasted me a year and they were trashed. The rope is still perfect after 2 years of winching....and no freyed wires rippin my skin.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You will need the aluminum fairlead!!

Old 02-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

Is plowing too hard on synthetic winch line? I don't really want to switch back and forth between cable and synthtetic!

Old 02-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Range Rover

i've had no problem with my rope at all,would not go back to a cable,no problem with the weight of the big plow on it,3/16 rope is all you need.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

BlueOne,

From your pictures, it looks like your running the original rollers on your winch with your synthetic line. Is that the case?

Old 02-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Yes I am running the same roller and no problem yet,if so will have to change to alum. unles I'm missing something that is going to ruin the rope.let me know, Thanks.It's how we all learn !

Old 02-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Yes I am running the same roller and no problem yet,if so will have to change to alum. unles I'm missing something that is going to ruin the rope.let me know, Thanks.It's how we all learn !
You are not suppose to use your roller flarehead with the synthetic. Because they figured you have been using the steel cabel for so long that it has cause dents and inperfections in the flarehead, that can cause the synthetic rope to split. However if your flarehead is in great shape, it is 100% fine to use it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

If you are winching at an angle, the synyhetic rope can get pinched between the corners of the rollers, or be damaged by the end of a roller.

Quick Reply: winch: synthetic rope or cable?