Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

VERY CONFUSED

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY CONFUSED

you said it blue wheelieing is for sport quads and when you can easily just pick up the front end of a utility quad like nothing that shows you got some power specially when you dont' need to use any body english just sit on it and throttle away.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

Originally posted by: Bluethumb
I think the EFI they're using requires a battery to run it. It's more than that though, there are sensors that measure a bunch of parameters to make it run properly. If one of those sensors were to give out, it may not run. That being said, you don't see a lot of problems with EFI in regular use, or off road use. I wouldn't hesitate to get it. As for this supposed "low end lag". I rode with a new KQ last weekend, and I didn't see any evidence of lag, just a strong sounding and good performing motor. Good on gas too. One thing I did notice though, the KQ axles are SMALL. I don't think they're even 3/8" thick. I don't understand the fascination with wheeling a utility quad, that's what sport quads are for. But whatever floats your boat. I personally would like to see EFI on the H1, that's what i would buy.

You have had no experience with EFI systems, have you? The computer needs only about 5 volts to run and even a dead battery usually has that many volts left in it. As to a sensor breaking and the engine not running, not gonna happen. The system has a fallback parameter programed in and if a sensor quits or a wire breaks to a sensor the system uses the baseline to operate the system. Engine will run, just not at the optimum possible preformance. If the system is anything like the Yamaha 700R EFI system, you will be able to reprogram the system for your alititude, weather conditions, etc. and any equipment changes you might opt to make. I agree that a ute by design is not made to wheelie like the sporties, but it is torque and gear ratio, not horsepower that cause wheelies. Horsepower is the top speed factor.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

Originally posted by: Bear4570
I think the EFI they're using requires a battery to run it. It's more than that though, there are sensors that measure a bunch of parameters to make it run properly. If one of those sensors were to give out, it may not run. That being said, you don't see a lot of problems with EFI in regular use, or off road use. I wouldn't hesitate to get it. As for this supposed "low end lag". I rode with a new KQ last weekend, and I didn't see any evidence of lag, just a strong sounding and good performing motor. Good on gas too. One thing I did notice though, the KQ axles are SMALL. I don't think they're even 3/8" thick. I don't understand the fascination with wheeling a utility quad, that's what sport quads are for. But whatever floats your boat. I personally would like to see EFI on the H1, that's what i would buy.

You have had no experience with EFI systems, have you? The computer needs only about 5 volts to run and even a dead battery usually has that many volts left in it. As to a sensor breaking and the engine not running, not gonna happen. The system has a fallback parameter programed in and if a sensor quits or a wire breaks to a sensor the system uses the baseline to operate the system. Engine will run, just not at the optimum possible preformance. If the system is anything like the Yamaha 700R EFI system, you will be able to reprogram the system for your alititude, weather conditions, etc. and any equipment changes you might opt to make. I agree that a ute by design is not made to wheelie like the sporties, but it is torque and gear ratio, not horsepower that cause wheelies. Horsepower is the top speed factor.
Hey bear, you should check a post in the yamaha forum under,"does anyone have a wheeler that goes 90mph+". They say the opposite of you. Gear ratio gives you top speed, horse power doesnt. They said even if you have 500 hp, if its geared wrong, you cant go faster than someone with less hp

Old 02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default VERY CONFUSED

Bear4570 is on the right track. The post v2rider is quoting is also kinda right but in a very extreme way. You can that a 5hp ATV and gear it to wheelie all day long, but you can’t gear that 5hp ATV to run 100 mph because it doesn’t have the hp to pull the gearing. It’s like peddling a bike. You can change to a gear to go up a steep hill with ease, or you can change to a gear that there is no way you can make it up the hill because you don’t have enough “man power”. It helps to understand the theory. Just my 2cents worth.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

Originally posted by: v2rider
Originally posted by: Bear4570

Hey bear, you should check a post in the yamaha forum under,"does anyone have a wheeler that goes 90mph+". They say the opposite of you. Gear ratio gives you top speed, horse power doesnt. They said even if you have 500 hp, if its geared wrong, you cant go faster than someone with less hp
As long as the engine reachs max horsepower RPM with whatever gear ratio you use, then you will be at your fastest (that's fast, not quick. Quick is elapsed time and fast is mph). But a gear ratio change can slow you down if you go to high or low with it. But the claim that gear ratio makes you faster is wrong, in that regardless of what gear ratio you are using, in a 400 lbs machine it takes so much horsepower to go 60 mph and if you don't have enough horsepower you will not go that fast. I raced way to many years in cars and boats and learned all about quick and fast and horsepower, gear ratios, horsepower to weight ratios, etc. I set records and won championships to prove I knew what I was doing and I did it on a budget too, not one major sponsor ever. These same guys probably believe that a loud exhaust means you are making more horsepower too. I know a couple of guys with 90+ mph quads and it takes a lot of cc's and horsepower, more than most people think.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

getting an atv to go 90 mph can't be that terribly difficult with a sport quad. my 650 out of the crate would do 68 mph and yeah 20 mph is alot but this is a heavy utility quad if you take that gearing and motor and put it in a lighter framed atv it shouldn't be a problem and if you take a 700 EFI raptor and gear it up it would take a while and maybe a lil tweaking but i am guessing it shouldn't be that terribly difficult. but i think everyone will agree you gotta have the magical ingredients of horsepower and gearing equals lots of fun.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

Look up "sandbomber" and "Bigdaddy660R" and look at their toys for some go fast quads. And Weez, you didn't have to state that you were confused in the title of this thread. We already knew that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

bear i was confused and still am as to what my next atv purchase should be and everyone puts on posts sometimes they shouldn't you should know that first hand.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
GWC
Weekend Warrior
Default VERY CONFUSED

Iam working on a H1 right now (putting on snorkels and relocating the radiator) and i will say this it will pull the front wheels easy! in high or low with stock tires(also has a HMF on it) I would think when i get the jet kit in it with the snorkel it should really rip.
I rode a wheelie on this quad for atleast 100' if not more.But with stock tires on my 500m i can do the same with my mods that are done to it....my2cents

Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default VERY CONFUSED

Originally posted by: GWC
Iam working on a H1 right now (putting on snorkels and relocating the radiator) and i will say this it will pull the front wheels easy! in high or low with stock tires(also has a HMF on it) I would think when i get the jet kit in it with the snorkel it should really rip.
I rode a wheelie on this quad for atleast 100' if not more.But with stock tires on my 500m i can do the same with my mods that are done to it....my2cents

You ain't even close to the wheelie record. It something like 5 MILES not feet.

Quick Reply: VERY CONFUSED