Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Stumped on Ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped on Ticking noise

Yeah 400i's are turds, i HAD one. But it would be good the check the chain and tensionor and all that. And also the rod bolts, but if that was the case it should have wrecked itself by now. If its as bad as you make it sound, don't keep riding it take it somewhere and have it fixed.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Taking the bike to the nearest dealer is not an option I can afford. Nearest dealer is 740 air miles from me. No road connects here to there (unless you count the 3 day Ferry ride as a road). It would cost me about $1200 just to get it to the dealer and back by air freight.

I put about about 100 miles on it and changed the oil last night. I found no metal shavings stuck to the magnet on the drain plug and I ran another magnet through the oil and came up empty as well. I am taking the oil filter apart and checking it as well. The ticking has gotten less noticeable. I may just buy the gaskets and such for the top end and pull the head and check its components just to ease my mind.

Other than that I am just going to keep it working hard until it does something else.

SJ

Old 03-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Ah the joys of living in the bush! No offence wideopenrider, but I got a good chuckle out of your take it in to have it checked comment. swampy is down on the Aleutian Islands!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] He probably is the only machanic there. I would just keep riding it until something worse happened. Good luck sj.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it has taken a step further towards the worse I fear. I have put about 300 miles on it now and the ticking just keeps getting louder. Then last week all while I was riding it, my exhaust starts sounding like I have a hole in the muffler. It was considerably louder than normal. It is not louder than some others with aftermarket exhausts but noticibly louder than before. I have checked my exhaust pipe and muffler over and found no leaks or holes.

Out of sheer curiosity I drained the oil and sure enough I found metal shavings stuck to the drain plug magnet. So I have parked it for the time being. magnet looked a little like Bart Simpsons hair do. Just real fine shavings and lots of them.

The funny thing is it still starts and runs as good as it always has. I think I will start by taking the engine out of the machine and taking top end apart. Must be something in the cylinder head? I am leaning towards the camshaft. I also discoverd that the oil cooling hose almost poped off from where it attachesd to the engine when I had the original problem just discovered it later.

I think I had an oil flow problem to the top end ( as evidenced from the oil cooling hose popoing off) which has caused the camshaft, its bearing surfaces or its lobes to wear excessively or possibly a broken valve spring, damaged valve quides, seats or rocker arms. Which would cause the excessive top end clatter?

I have few questions for anyone with suggestion or who has had the top end of these Cat engines apart:

1) Could it be something else other than the camshaft?

2) Has anyone had a baffle rust out on the exhaust causing an increase in noise or is something else causing my increased exhaust noise?

3) Since this is a manual tranny with about 4000miles should I replace the clutch while I have the engine out of the machine? If so should I go with stock or an aftermarket?

Seeing the metal shavings I don't think there is anything wrong with the exhaust or pipe. Wrist pin? Cam chain tensioner? Other?

Catterman, no I am not the only mechanic out the Aleutians. I think there are 3 all togehter. (just kidding) Actually, I can turn a wrench fairly well and I have a service manual, so I am fairly confident I can do this. Just like the commercials I am looking for that blasted EASY button!

Thanks in advance and keep the rubber side down.

SJ

Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

I'd take the head off and check the bolts that hold down the cam. Its sounds odd, just seems like it should have wrecked itself by now. But who knows. And sorry about the whole deal thing before. Didn't look at your location before i started writing. But i guess if you keep riding, when it breaks. You'll know the problem.
But my advise, take off the head, check out the valve faces, piston head, everything you can see. Go from there. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Wideopenrider

Thank you, noise does sound real odd. All I know is my work machine is down. I have worked that machine hard for a long time. My old Suzuki didn't even make it this long doing the same stuff before problems arose. I am very pleased withthe machine overall, just want to get it fixed correctly the first time.

I will check the top end. Basically rebuild the head and replace any worn components. Never done this on a Cat engine before so its uncharted territory for me.

Still wondering about the clutch though? I don't think the engine has to be removed from the machine to change it out but I am sure it would be easier?

SJ

Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, I had a ticking that cost me, over $2000, I had to change the head cover, head, cam, piston, bore out my old cylinder............... I did post the information about this I had found out but looks like that post is gone. I was told that it had to do with the cam scoring the cradle in the head? So if your going to open her up take a good look right down to the piston. Look to see if there is any play with it.
Still not happy about it, seems to be a problem with some 03. Good luck

Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

I HAD A 2004 400 CAT I RAN AMSOIL 4 STROKE SYTHETIC OIL IT QUITED MY QUAD DOWN A BIT THOSE 400 SUZUKI JUST LIKE TO TICK IF YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THAT IS CAUSING THE TICKING LET ARTIC-CAT KNOW AND ALSO SUZKI YOU WILL BE THE HERO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]