Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ditched the badlands, great so far NO LEAKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ditched the badlands, great so far NO LEAKS

Originally posted by: 7mm
Bear I'm not really sure why you feel compelled to shoot me down? All I was trying to say was the problems I had and how the dealer helped me to remedy this problem, which was obviously the tires. Some people are having troubles with these tires, if you dont thats fine but don't try to humiliate someone by cutting down their post.

I find it had to believe that the only cure you could find was to get different tires. I am still on the stock tires on my 400 with over 1300 miles (tough winter or it would be closer to 2000 miles) since November of 2004 and the only leaks have been from blackbearry stickers (cured by slime) and right now I have a rim bent so bad that the slime can't seal it. But all those leaks were my fault and I just find it hard to believe that you got 4 bad tires. If there were a bad batch of tires there would be a recall. I still don't understand your refusing to use the slime. I know some real hard core riders that travel in the way outback country thru some real rough stuff and they slime first and not worry anymore about tires except for major failures. But also if you are gonna run with the big dogs here you need to not be quite so thinned skin. If you think I was humiliating you, then life has some real surprises waiting for you in the future.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

i made it 150 miles on my stock tires and had two flats fixed with tubes in the rear and the fronts would leak slowly also. not to mention they sucked in the mud. the name should be changed to badtires. I put on mudlight xtr's and no more flats, leaks, tears, or being stuck in the mud. any aftermarket 6 ply tire or radial is going to WAY better than the stocks.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
7mm
Weekend Warrior

Bear the reasons I did not want to use slime and changed tires are,
1- the tires are new and should not just dump the air and go flat instantly . Could be very dangerous as I have kids that ride also
2-The tireshops around here hate slime whenever they have to fix a tire and charge you more to get it fixed.
3- If I or anyone else had just bought a NEW truck or car or something with NEW tires on it and the tires just kept going flat for no aparent reason as they didnt have any holes in them and was still on warranty, would'nt you want that dealer to come good for it and remedy the problem rather than put a aftermarket bandaid on the problem.
I simply had enough of these tires as I tried everything the dealer and tireshops had asked of me. They were stumped also. They looked at the tires when they came off and they said it was like there were very fine cuts almost like stress tears at the bead, and it was not because they were abused and the dealer could see this. He would not have shipped them to Cat warranty depot if he didnt agree something was wrong.
You have lots of good information, keep it up! I dont want to start or finish a fight, I just want to pass on information.......Keep the shiney side up!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bear the reasons I did not want to use slime and changed tires are,
1- the tires are new and should not just dump the air and go flat instantly . Could be very dangerous as I have kids that ride also
2-The tireshops around here hate slime whenever they have to fix a tire and charge you more to get it fixed.
3- If I or anyone else had just bought a NEW truck or car or something with NEW tires on it and the tires just kept going flat for no aparent reason as they didnt have any holes in them and was still on warranty, would'nt you want that dealer to come good for it and remedy the problem rather than put a aftermarket bandaid on the problem.
I simply had enough of these tires as I tried everything the dealer and tireshops had asked of me. They were stumped also. They looked at the tires when they came off and they said it was like there were very fine cuts almost like stress tears at the bead, and it was not because they were abused and the dealer could see this. He would not have shipped them to Cat warranty depot if he didnt agree something was wrong.
You have lots of good information, keep it up! I dont want to start or finish a fight, I just want to pass on information.......Keep the shiney side up!
My grand kids ride my quads and slime is a safety feature, not a bandaid cure for a problem. The tire shops hating slime is pure BS. The stuff just washes off with plain water and if the shop is unaware of this and charges more, I would trade elsewhere. If what you say is true about the tire beads, then one of two things. The tires were bad from the manufacture of installed improperly and the beads ruined then. Half of the problem you and I are having is your incomplete reporting of what went on with the tires. But to compare a set of new truck tires to your quad tires is an apples and orange comparison. You don't take a new truck the places you would take a new quad. If slime was so bad, why does Arctic Cat have the stuff under their own label in the accessory catalog? What we have had is a minor disagreement. You don't wanna fight with an old dog, "Old age and treachery will out do youth and enthusiasum everytime". I am glad your problem was solved. As to the shiney side up. I wish, but when I ride I sometimes I let my enthusiasum (or maybe the brain just stops working) overrides my common sense. My 2005 400 has been upside down twice already, interestingly the 250 never has.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

7mm i am having the same problem ive gone with slime like i said in a past post and now ive had all my tires re seated buy the local shop using bead sealer and it just keeps happening it happened again yesterday while just riding a flat dirt road i have 250 miles on my bike its a month old and im sick of having to slow everyone down because of the tires how did you get your dealer to replace your tires was it like pulling teeth thanks for your time

Old 02-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

If any of you guys have 2 frt tires stk size 25/8/12 that you want to sell let me now... I'm going to put them on my bosses polaris. Thanks Guys.

MArk

Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 AM
7mm
Weekend Warrior

Rango 726, I got a new set of Badlands on warranty, but the Kendas I had to give tradeins plus a couple hundred bucks, taxes and install included. I know exactly how you feel about slowing everyone else down I was getting sick of being called the "flat cat". I think slime is meant for holes in a tire not for the problem I was having with the bead. Yes I did have a fair bit of problem getting them changed but my dealer was trying to keep me running. Are you noticing these flat when you are in trails turning and putting stress on your bead or just going pretty much strait? Mine happened lots more in the trails when weight transfered to a outside tire and when it was cold.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

it first started with with a little side wall pressure but as far as im concerned not enough to have done that and the last trip out was just easy riding straight i had the wife on the back so i couldnt push it but it seems more when im in a trail making the tires work a bit but its annoyingthe bike is unstopable until these week tires give way i just dont think i should be loosing air every time out ecxept for one and i also dont have the cash for new tires and dont feel i should have to

Old 02-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think slime is meant for holes in a tire not for the problem I was having with the bead.

Slime will stop any leak as long as air moves from inside to outside the tire, thriugh a hole. the bead, valve stem. If the air doesn't move then you don't have a leak. I have 3 rims bent to the point of needing replacement, badly and not a leak one on the beads. I am beginning to think there is a bad batch of tires out there.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

this sounds funny because i have them on my 06trv and havent had a prob. with them, they seem to work well in the mud,snow and on hard pack granted i only have 250 miles on them but on my 03trv i had dunlop tires and they were pulled off at 400 miles because of lousey tread and bad handling.

Quick Reply: ditched the badlands, great so far NO LEAKS