Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat Fenders Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat Fenders Cracking

I have commited myself to buying a new AC 500 4x4 with the manuel tranyy, but my last concern is about the fenders. They seem to be very sturdy, but seem like they might break easier if I stick it between two small trees along a trail. How are the fenders holding up and if they do break what do you do to fix them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

Haven't had a problem with my 2005 or 2003. And I haven't seen any broken fenders out there either. I haven't been riding long, but I make a point to look around a lot.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing to worry about. I have hit big branches, stumps and brushed against rocks with my fenders. They are definitly scrathed but they are very flexable. I have even tipped my quad over on its side on the asphalt (lets not go there right now), it actually put a dent in the flare part of the fender and the dent popped it's self back out several days later and only left a small ripple that is hard to see.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only time I have ever cracked a fender is when I got stupid. Normal use, never a problem. I rolled once and went over backwards once on my 2005 400 and the plastic got scratched but no cracks. My 2001 250 has a crack in the plastic on the left front fender caused by a 4 foot, 4" in diameter stick(?)that I jammed up into the fender by riding where I couldn't see and had no business being.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bowtech24
I have commited myself to buying a new AC 500 4x4 with the manuel tranyy, but my last concern is about the fenders. They seem to be very sturdy, but seem like they might break easier if I stick it between two small trees along a trail. How are the fenders holding up and if they do break what do you do to fix them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
I cracked mine the way you said it. I found no repair that holds it for long.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I must be one of the unlucky ones. My rear fender cracked real easy on my 05 V2. I tried to go around a little 2" diameter tree, scrubbed it and then POP! Looked down to see a huge crack. I was going maybe 1mph...had my 2yr old daughter with me and wasn't being stupid, just going for a short ride behind the house.

I've seen a plastic weld someone did and it turned out ok. I just went to Alpha-Sports.com and bought a new set of rear fenders for $200 (which I don't think is too bad considering the size of the fender).

Jim

Old 03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

My rear fenders cracked on each side the first time out...squeezing between two trees at only a few mph. I used Gorilla Glue to repair them, both they broke again. Replacement for the entire rear fender is $285, but they'll only crack again. Other than that, no problems with my '06 400 4x4 LE.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Stop drill the crack and install a pop rivet. Then find or make small metal stripes with two holes about an inch to inch and a half apart. Lay metal piece across crack and drill holes. Put metal piece on back side of crack and pop rivet one side. Glue the crack together and install second rivet. Use as many stipes as necessary (about 4 to 6" apart). It won't crack again. Do not use the plastic rivet, metal only. FYI, If you refrain from going thru areas with less 48 to 50" wide trails, this won't happen.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

Knowing whether or not the Arctic Cat fenders can tolerate normal abuse (hunting and work around the camp) is going to be a huge factor in whether or not I purchase this machine. Other than the worries I have about the fenders everything else about the 06' AC 500 with a manual tranny is very worthy. I'm just a little hesitant to have a brand new bike that I'm proud of and the dang thing has cracked fenders. Buy it or not?

Old 04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bowtech24
Knowing whether or not the Arctic Cat fenders can tolerate normal abuse (hunting and work around the camp) is going to be a huge factor in whether or not I purchase this machine. Other than the worries I have about the fenders everything else about the 06' AC 500 with a manual tranny is very worthy. I'm just a little hesitant to have a brand new bike that I'm proud of and the dang thing has cracked fenders. Buy it or not?
Well, I hunted in 2005 with my 2005 400, rolled it once and went over backward once and been between hundreds of trees and so far no crack. Scraps, yes but no cracks. My opinion is that it takes something pretty bad or a flaw in that piece of plastic itself to have a problem. I haven't seen any complaints about plastic breaking either.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat Fenders Cracking