Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

St Cloud Quadmasters

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default St Cloud Quadmasters

So besides Catterman and myself, was anyone there? I had a blast. I was a judge for the event Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, then did the competition Sun. afternoon. Wicked fun.

Who else was there?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt get to see the quadmasters event, i got there too late on sat afternoon. But i was there both friday and saturday night, for the night watch. Its a real nice fairgrounds.
How did you do in the event?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say I was pretty middle of the pack overall. The big AC650 was tough to handle on the trail test because of a rather sharp corner. I think I might have been able to make it if I approached it at a different angle, but it would still be tight. Quite a few people backed up to avoid the penalty, mostly anything over 500cc. I nicked an exit post three times on different events cuz I got a bit too excited trying to finish up quick. My big AC excelled at the rock climb and the log cross, I saw some people REAlLY fighting those. I saw a guy get completely bucked off his wheeler on the rocks, and more than a few people get penalized for being bounced off the path. Quite a few wheelers also had big probs with the log cross, my tall clearance and long suspension soaked that up with relative ease.

Nobody really had any probs with the car cross, one guy on a PoPo 700 almost rolled off it, other than that event was quite uneventful. Same with the log bridge, fairly easy, nobody gettin chucked off.

By the time I got to the mud pit it was no longer very muddy. I got through with my stockers in 4.62 seconds, guys with mud tires were makin it in the low 4's. I figure if I can get through on my tires, it isn't really a good mud hole.

One of the neater things there was the Sportsman XC600. Yep, an XC600 engine stuffed into a SP600. Tossin some ceramic coated pipes to avoid burning the ol leg, and a transmission from a Ranger, some monstrous tires, prolly 29.5 outlaws, top it off with NOS and you've got a serious machine. I rode the course Sunday and the pit was pretty dry, but Saturday it was soup, and almost no one was getting through. This beast blew through without flinching. Pretty neat.

Anyway, doing the course was WAY fun. I am totally going back next year, and I highly recommend anyone nearby to do the same.

Poor Catterman busted an axle on his H1 on Saturday afternoon in the mud pit though. =(

There were also test rides on site for a very large variety of machines. The corporate guys from BRP were a bunch of jackasses though. AC must have sent invisible men, because no one was ever around their truck, nor did they bring ANYTHING for demos. Poor showing I thought. Kawasaki made up for it though, they were willing to let us drive prtty much anything we wanted. I grabbed KFX700 and almost got booted from the course for one little wheelie. So I took a KFX400 back the next time I did a little one when no one was looking. >=)

There were vendors for every manufacturer there as well, also quite a few vendors for almost anything under the son. Speedwerx was there was a couple wheelers they had worked on. And there was this wicked nice 'zilla there, quite a few mods and very very nice. A mere $5K would have taken it home.

Good times, and most of you missed it. =P

Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up Chumley.

Ya the course was a lot of fun, the H1 did get hurt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Actually, it could have been a lot worse. On a practice run Saturday, I was going over the car and the dirt leading up to the car's rear had been rutted out big time, and there were some tires missing that should have been in the "broken windows". A Sportsman was on it before me, he almost rolled trying to get over. He ended up going around it. I didn't learn from this and thought I should try it anyway. So I get up there and in 4x4 wtih diff lock all four of my tires just spun, and she went sideways and it rolled off. Landed on the side so it just took a little shove to it her back to her feet. There was NO damage at all from that. I was impressed with how well the racks protected the body, and how much the fenders went through and didn't brake. They did fix the car for the actual competition and it was super easy then.

I did brake my axle on the mud pit. Don't know how the heck that happened. It also snapped off my foot brake caliper from the hub. I am going to see if I can just weld it back on. If nothing else my foot brake just won't work anymore.

So, I am in the market for a new rear axle if anyone has one around! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sorry I didn't catch back up with you Chumley, I went home right after the run, tore the H1 down so it is ready for the new axle, then I came back and it was 5:00 and the events were closed. I thought it went until 7:00. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Sunday I couldn't make it because our little boy wasn't feeling the best.

I too will be back next year, and with some new tires hopefully.