Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which One?

Hello, I am new to the forum, and I have decided to buy an arctic cat, but I'm not sure which one to get -- a 500 or 650? Also, I am old school and like the gears, but I have heard they have the issues with the autos worked out?
I will use it mostly for back country hunting and fishing (boondocking off the roads and trails) and also for plowing snow in the winter.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
firedozer

Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Which One?

Welcome. 650 is available as an auto only. 500 auto or manual. I prefer a manual as I like being able to choose the engine rpms I want to run at. Auto is programmed and you have to live with it unless you start changing springs and weights. The 650 H-1 use Arctic Cat's trans and does not have the problems that the 650 V-2s had.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Which One?

Originally posted by: firedozer
Hello, I am new to the forum, and I have decided to buy an arctic cat, but I'm not sure which one to get -- a 500 or 650? Also, I am old school and like the gears, but I have heard they have the issues with the autos worked out?
I will use it mostly for back country hunting and fishing (boondocking off the roads and trails) and also for plowing snow in the winter.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
firedozer
That is exactly what I use my ATV for, and I chose the 650 H1. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I rode both the 500, then the 650, then went back to the 500 and knew I had to have the 650. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I only wanted an auto though. I suggest you ride the 500 manual, then the 500 auto and see what you prefer. Then jump on the H1 and compare it to whatever 500 you liked best.

I bet you will end up with the H1 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Both the 500 and 650 H1 are nice and reliable. The 500 auto vs. manual is all up to your preference. My TRX is a manual and it is fun to shift, but on long trips it gets old. And for plowing snow I love the auto. Good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Which One?

I think you will like the H1 also. I have the V2, and its fast as HE**! But its low gear isnt geared as low as H1, which has better plowing and pulling power. On a different note, the 06 V2s dont have any tranny problems, they were addressed a couple years ago.