Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Oil filter cross ref.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter cross ref.

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: Catterman
Bear, I have access to CR online, and I haven't been able to find one thing about there filters test. Do you have a link you could share with us where they say the Fram filters are good? I am very curious to see this. Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Me too to the on-line but the one I had was hard copied from years ago. I will check to see if it is in my files. I think I will e-mail CR also.
If I remember correctly, it involved taxi cabs in NYC.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MadLT
"More urban myth stuff. If Fram is so bad why does Consumers Union use them as the baseline to compare all the others too?"

It's because thery are the baseline, lowest in the pack. If you can't out-filter Fram you won't make it in the filter market. It's not the quality of the build, it is the materials that make them sub-standard. Cardboard media is old technology and is now obsolete to synthetic filtering media.

All you have to do is compare the single and multi-pass filtering rates to see that Fram is sub-standard to the premium filters. You can't really even say that price is the deciding factor in choosing between Fram and premium because one of the best filter values out there is the Wal-mart Supertech. The Supertech filters cost around 2 dollars and have a 98% single and 99% multi pass filtering rate with synthetic filtering media.

Your response shows you have never seen how CR test and their results or you wouldn't make such wrong and stupid statements. Just because it is ols technology doesn't mean it doesn't do an adequate job for the average consumer.

45/70 Your response just shows me that these so-called stupid statements must be truth, or you wouldn't have gotten so emotional in your response. Do you work for Fram? If not, why are you defending them like you do? It is common knowledge that a standard Fram filter might be a good filter, but for many folks they are not good enough, and it boils down to filtering quality. It's not about failure rates because most people are not going to check their filter against CR testing or cut filters open, and even if they did, would they know what they are looking for? It's about the SAE rating on the box. The Fram being a 94-96% filter will not clean the oil as well as a 98-99% filter, sounds basic enough right? That's because it is basic and SAE testing proves it.

Some people, like myself, choose to use a better filter and oil to insure that their engine will not fail due to lack of care or maintenance. For 2$ more once or twice a year I will be using premium filters.

Hey madlt, just wondering if you still use stock air filter? If not what do you like?

Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

Nope, I have the Twinair powerflow kit. The dealer accidentally quoted me the price of the replacement filter so I got a smokin' deal on the kit. They are actually quite pricey in comparison to any other filtering system, but IMO it is the best filter system available.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

"More urban myth stuff. If Fram is so bad why does Consumers Union use them as the baseline to compare all the others too?"

It's because thery are the baseline, lowest in the pack. If you can't out-filter Fram you won't make it in the filter market. It's not the quality of the build, it is the materials that make them sub-standard. Cardboard media is old technology and is now obsolete to synthetic filtering media.

All you have to do is compare the single and multi-pass filtering rates to see that Fram is sub-standard to the premium filters. You can't really even say that price is the deciding factor in choosing between Fram and premium because one of the best filter values out there is the Wal-mart Supertech. The Supertech filters cost around 2 dollars and have a 98% single and 99% multi pass filtering rate with synthetic filtering media.

Your response shows you have never seen how CR test and their results or you wouldn't make such wrong and stupid statements. Just because it is ols technology doesn't mean it doesn't do an adequate job for the average consumer.

45/70 Your response just shows me that these so-called stupid statements must be truth, or you wouldn't have gotten so emotional in your response. Do you work for Fram? If not, why are you defending them like you do? It is common knowledge that a standard Fram filter might be a good filter, but for many folks they are not good enough, and it boils down to filtering quality. It's not about failure rates because most people are not going to check their filter against CR testing or cut filters open, and even if they did, would they know what they are looking for? It's about the SAE rating on the box. The Fram being a 94-96% filter will not clean the oil as well as a 98-99% filter, sounds basic enough right? That's because it is basic and SAE testing proves it.

Some people, like myself, choose to use a better filter and oil to insure that their engine will not fail due to lack of care or maintenance. For 2$ more once or twice a year I will be using premium filters.
Nope, I don't work now at all and I never worked for any company making filters. i sold them years a go when I worked part time in an auto parts store while still in the military. If Fram isn't good enough then why are so many sold every year and there aren't dead cars all over the side of the road? I'm not defending Fram, just debunking BS that gets spread by people with more monry than brains. Back in the dark ages of performance cars while working at a dyno shop they local Purolator rep. came by with his "prove our filter is better" machine in his van. It had 2 tanks, pumps and valves and used 10wt machine oil and a pink dye (of 10 microns I think). The pump would send the oil thru the filters and into the second tank. You could see by the color of the oil how well the filters did. He tested several filters (STP and a bunch of other perfomance names back then) against the Purolators, they all did a poor job), but never the AC, Fram, etc. One night we all went out for drinks and I asked him why never the name brands and he said because all the name brands did pretty much the same, it was only the expensive, performance ones that didn't work. The next day we supplied some filters and the all cleaned the oil. So more expensive don't mean it's better and their claims of better are quite often just that. So don't try to sell my on more expensive and hype as better, because it just ain't so way to often. I suppose you believe used car salesman too. PS: Emotional it wasn't, if you think it was you have a warpped view of life.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I don't know bear, maybe you are right and all the test results on the Fram filters on the Internet are aberations, but I will stick to my Amsoil filter/oil and my 25,000 mile oil changes.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
I don't know bear, maybe you are right and all the test results on the Fram filters on the Internet are aberations, but I will stick to my Amsoil filter/oil and my 25,000 mile oil changes.

The biggest problem with so many "tests" is the testers set out to prove their position and Gee, guess what' the only facts they present support their position and anythig else is ignored. That's why I like CR. They don't take advertizing dollars from anyone, so they generally keep their bias to a minumum.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

45-70, why so emotional about this? These are oil filters. All of which will filter your oil, and most have a warranty to back them up. So tell me, why do you think that Fram filters work so much better and have such a bad reputation? Do you actually think it is some conspiracy against Fram? Also do you think the bad reputation comes from one Fram filter failure and the owner was able to amount such widespread despisement for Fram? I don't think so. I think it is a due reputation for many filters failing and Fram not owning up to it. The reason many stores continue to carry them is because they are cheap and overall reliable. The reason I say overall reliable is because most of them are only used for the 3000 mile interval the oil change shops recommend. Any available filter can last 3000 miles, if not it wouldn't be available because 3000 miles is an industry standard. And yes, for this type of interval Fram is good enough and this is why they are the "baseline filter" like you already stated.

If the premium filters don't work why are the manufacturers so willing to back them up with an engine replacement warranty. That's right, because in spite of your testing the premium filters do work.

Warped view of life, huh? Remember, I wasn't the one using the words wrong and stupid to dismiss valid points of someone else to raise the validity of the points I was trying to make.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

45-70, why so emotional about this? These are oil filters. All of which will filter your oil, and most have a warranty to back them up. So tell me, why do you think that Fram filters work so much better and have such a bad reputation? Do you actually think it is some conspiracy against Fram? Also do you think the bad reputation comes from one Fram filter failure and the owner was able to amount such widespread despisement for Fram? I don't think so. I think it is a due reputation for many filters failing and Fram not owning up to it. The reason many stores continue to carry them is because they are cheap and overall reliable. The reason I say overall reliable is because most of them are only used for the 3000 mile interval the oil change shops recommend. Any available filter can last 3000 miles, if not it wouldn't be available because 3000 miles is an industry standard. And yes, for this type of interval Fram is good enough and this is why they are the "baseline filter" like you already stated.

If the premium filters don't work why are the manufacturers so willing to back them up with an engine replacement warranty. That's right, because in spite of your testing the premium filters do work.

Warped view of life, huh? Remember, I wasn't the one using the words wrong and stupid to dismiss valid points of someone else to raise the validity of the points I was trying to make.
First off you need to look up the definition of emotional!

Second, have you ever heard of anybody collecting on a replacement engine from any filter manufacture? No and I will tell you why, they don't do it and it ain't gonna happen, ever.

I've lived a long time and my view of life isn't warped, it is realistic. Business in this country will tell you anything to get you to buy, but if you believe their hype, well then you probably believe your government and your representatives to it too.

You claim your points are "valid", but you have supplied nothing to back up your "valid points" other than the manufacture's claims. Which is proof of nothing but you albility to read. I really don't care if you think premium filters are better, but without any proof you claims are only that, just claims and not facts. Prove they are better.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Oh, I guess you have supplied proof to validate your point? You have given us supposed individual test results and tried to tell us that there are CR reports that somehow just disappeared from the face of the internet. So what does that leave us to go by? It leaves us with SAE test results, and several independent tests proving that the Fram filter is sub-standard. Just do an internet search you can read it.

Don't ask for proof that you can't even supply yourself. At least I have SAE stats to go by. What do you have? Supposed CR reports? "He said, she said" test results in a shop you used to work in? C-mon man.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh, I guess you have supplied proof to validate your point? You have given us supposed individual test results and tried to tell us that there are CR reports that somehow just disappeared from the face of the internet. So what does that leave us to go by? It leaves us with SAE test results, and several independent tests proving that the Fram filter is sub-standard. Just do an internet search you can read it.

Don't ask for proof that you can't even supply yourself. At least I have SAE stats to go by. What do you have? Supposed CR reports? "He said, she said" test results in a shop you used to work in? C-mon man.
You claimed the "Premium filters are better and worth the expense" not me. I say you are wrong and now it is up to you to prove your statement. You also haven't produced these independent tests (almost alway suspect as they are paid for by someone with something they want proven) or even the SAE test.

Quick Reply: Oil filter cross ref.