Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

break in and other setup issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in and other setup issues

Well, I took my new 06 H1 out for it's maiden trip last night. 20 miles of mostly gravel roads....

Only noticed one missing bolt within 5 minutues (holding fendor down).

I figured I would pull out the owners manual this weekend and see what it says about break in but figured I could get some good information here.

I felt compelled to pop it in and out of four wheel drive a few times last night just to make sure that something else did not fall off. My goal here is to have the machine ready to take a beating this fall and winter (and have the engine loose enough to start in 20 below weather).

What do you guys think proper breaking process is?

Any other known issues on the 06 H1 that I should be watching for?

Any opinions and information appreciated!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I broke it in the same way i broke in my fourtrax. Drive it like its already broke in! The rings and seals set better if you do. My fourtrax is 13yrs old and running hard still. My V2 runs like a gem also. Thats the best break in procedure in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Brakes need to be burnished as discribed in the owner's manual. Don't forget to do it to the foot brake.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I run it hard, but not for an extended period of time. Don't just start it up, and then turn it off without letting the engine warm up. Do not let it idle. Be sure to do what Bear said with the brakes too, espicially the foot one or else it will be worthless for the rest of the life of the ATV.

I change oil at 50 miles (be sure to check your drain plug and clean off the metal shavings), and again at 150 miles. Then that is when I put in the synthetic. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

GOod luck!!!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How was your weekend Catterman? I went to St Croix forest riding, and it was ok, but not as good as Spider Lake.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Got Milk!

Originally posted by: v2rider
How was your weekend Catterman? I went to St Croix forest riding, and it was ok, but not as good as Spider Lake.
I have to head up to Spider Lake on of these days. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I put on about 10 miles just riding around the yard. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Everytime we go outside my 16 month old boy runs over to the ATV's and starts yelling at the top of his lungs until we set him on there and drive him around the yard. Then he crys when we get off! Looks like I will have to buy a battery opperated ATV next summer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Got any pictures of St Croix?????

Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, it wasnt to exciting so i didnt get any oportunities for pics. In two weeks we are going to Pine Center trails, your welcome if you want, its not far from you.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Got Milk!

Originally posted by: v2rider
No, it wasnt to exciting so i didnt get any oportunities for pics. In two weeks we are going to Pine Center trails, your welcome if you want, its not far from you.
Thanks for the offer man! However this weekend my H1 is going into Speedwerx and they are going to test some "new stuff" for it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] So I don't think it will be back by then.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost the nut and washer that holds the the rear fender to the rack after less than 8 miles on my 06' ac 400 auto luckily for me i had just stopped on a hill and was looking around the area with the engine still running i noticed the bolt was still in the hole just rattling around an round in the hole. I couldn't find the nut or washer on the ground where i stopped but i got the screw/bolt out put it in the front box so i wouldn't lose it. It went back to dealer next day showed her the screw, she gave me a new nut,flat washer and also a lock type nut and told me i should go over all the exposed bolts an tighten all the ones i could get to ! But she told me if i ever had anymore come lose anywhere on the quad for as long as i owned it she would give them to me free of charge; only i'd have to do the labor myself............ but that sound like a good deal to me ! Hey bear i'm glad you mentioned the foot brake i'll have to make a hand lever to do this because i'm a bilateral amputee both legs off just below the knees thanks for the tip to save my rear foot brake ole buddy, i really appreciate it !!!!