Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Things I disliked on my Cat,have they changed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I disliked on my Cat,have they changed?

I had a 2003 Cat 500 auto that I sold a few weeks ago because it had a few faults that I could not live with.
1st- The steering,major oversteer,,downright dangerous in the woods. I tried adjusting the toe to 1/8 inch in like some recommended but to no avail. Coming into a turn sometimes it would grab and about launch you off the bike.

2nd- Too much heat on the left leg. We ride around a big farm a lot at lower speeds,and when you wear shorts it is almost unbearable on the leg,,really tough for the wife riding on the back,she had to keep her leg up on the seat.

3rd- You could not stay clean riding this machine,,it slung a lot of mud from the front wheels. I know that you can put fender extensions on,but this would of probably looked goofy,and should not have to be done.

Other that that I really liked this bike,,motor seemed strong(a bit noisy), seemed pretty beastly to do stuff around the farm. Have these things been addressed and if so what year,,04-05. I really would like to get another Cat,,hate to buy another brand,,but my father also rides this quad and I need something that he is comfortable(and safe) on also. I am not looking new,,possibly a 04 or 05 if these issues have been addressed,and if so,is there anything that is annoyance on the newer quads.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cats have wider fenders now, so the mud issue is done.
Steering seems to be fine for me, and havnt heard any complaints from others.
The hot leg is still here! But thats the nature of the beast. I hear this from almost all Ute owners (AC, KAWI, POLARIS....)

Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I agree, the mud issue is gone. I ride a lot in mud and it's not an issue. The muffler is still really hot, but with the footwells being wide, I can put my left leg out wide while wearing shorts when I'm working around the property without too much heat on my leg. Steering in the woods isn't an issue at all. I rode a friends Polaris a couple of weeks and had to deal with the heat issue also.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

THERE IS A FIX FOR THE HEAT ISSUE!!! On the 2007's there is an extra side pannel that covers the entire side of the engine. This works AMAZINE at keeping the heat down. So, if you buy a 2007 the heat won't be an issue, or if you get a 2006 leftover you can spend the $40 on the pannels and your heat problem is gone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey catterman, do you have a link to get those panels?

Old 07-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

I believe you mean understeer, not oversteer. ...but I know what you mean. Front leans significantly in the corners. I just sold my '03 500i and now have a '06 650 V2 and a Bomb 800 EFI. The 650 does the same. There is a fix for this. Different front tires with stiffer sidewalls will take out most of that dipping in corners. You can also install a rear sway bar. I have one one order for my 650 and I believe they will work on the 500. Assuming so, those two things will take away the problem you describe.

Heat, particularly with your wife on board. Best thing is to buy a 2-up machine. My Bomb is a 2-up and AC makes one also. Great idea and I haven't found the increased wheelbase a hinderance.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: v2rider
Hey catterman, do you have a link to get those panels?
Check out THIS!!!