Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

inquiring mind...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inquiring mind...

hi guys, im new at this so bare with me. i am intrested in buying a new 06' 400 4x4 Automatic VP. I like the specs on it the ground clearence and the look, but is it worth it? i am intrested in the handling and he 4x4 with climbing over rocks and mud, since i come from a place with all of this here it is neccessary to have an ATV of this sort to get around. this is my first ATV i did have several dirtbikes though so i know the terrain. is this bike a good "start off bike" i am going to be plowing also. will i be disappointed? help please![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome and the 400 is an excllent starter machine or even and advanced machine if you aren't in to lots of mph. I mean if 50mph isn't enough then you better get a 650 or 700 becauseeven the 500 isn't but a couple of mph faster. But the 400 will go anywhere you will want it so go.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

I thought the same as you about buying a good starter machine. After reading many posts and talking with people, I decided I wanted independant rear suspension (IRS) for a smoother ride. I rode in PA. (pike county) many times before moving South and know there's some large rocks there. You should consider IRS even though it's more money. Spend the money now or you may want to upgrade in a year or two.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Definately get the IRS you will not regret it. It does cost more money and the VP one has a solid axel so it doesn't have the ground clearance that the IRS one has. The IRS one has the foot of ground clearance and the VP one only has like 7". The IRS one also has a 6.5 gallon gas tank under the rear rack and the VP is in front of the driver and is only like 3 gallons. I say if your buying your first get the IRS and it will be your last quad you will buy. If you buy the VP model you'll end up upgrading in a year or 2. Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree that the IRS is better, both ride and ground clearance. However the front tank is 4.8 gallons and isn't all than bad. I've gone 70+ miles in a day with my 4.8 gal. tank and not run out of gas (didn't even use the reserve bit it was close but I did have a spare 5 gallons in my rack basket with me). But I too bought an IRS machine as my 250 had it and I knew the IRS was the way to go.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

thank you. i am planning on getting one. the vp is out of the picture but there are two other contendors. the 400 4x4 auto and 400 4x4 auto LE. what is the BIG difference. fuel tank is not an issue for me. rack capacity,eh,not so big either but ground clearence is. 12" is plenty for the parts where i live. i just dont want to spend alot of money but i want to get my money worth (up to $5000 or a little over)better yet what do you suggest for up to about 5000 and also the same thing like the 400s???
THANKS!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

The 400 and 400 LE are the same ATV except the LE comes with front and rear bumper, winch, and color matching rims. I don't know how much extra it would cost you in PA, but in NC I paid an extra $600 for the LE version over the standard 400. It would cost you the same to add everything individually without the rims...so I guess the rims are "free" when you get the LE. I do recommend a winch though as you will get stuck. I don't know if you could get the 400 in PA for around $5,000. You shouldn't couldn't get it in NC for that price. Either are a great ATV.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

the winch will be mandaory. so the rims and bumpers are the only difference besides the winch? mud will show up with the green better than the red, wich is cool riding down the street with 50lbs of mud on ya. no difference in ground clearence, wheel base, size,suspension etc. how is the IRS with the plowing?

Thanks

Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: lordvman
the winch will be mandaory. so the rims and bumpers are the only difference besides the winch? mud will show up with the green better than the red, wich is cool riding down the street with 50lbs of mud on ya. no difference in ground clearence, wheel base, size,suspension etc. how is the IRS with the plowing?

Thanks
I used to plow up in Alaska with a 2004 400I auto, it was awesome. Make sure you get the 60" plow. I think I have a picture of me plowing in my picts too.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Catterman
I think I have a picture of me plowing in my picts too.
Guess not, sorry. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: inquiring mind...