Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Heads Up!! Arctic Cat's with warranty "BEWARE"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Up!! Arctic Cat's with warranty "BEWARE"

Heads up!! I purchased a new 2006 650 V2 Arctic Cat on 06/23/06, at the same time I asked to include (4) 27" ITP 589's, wheels & tires, and asked them to install them, I picked it up approx. one week later. I drove it around in our neighborhood several times to break in the engine, for approx. one month, I loved it. I took it to my deer lease, with a couple of my friends, they both have 660 Grizzly's, we rode them around the lease, 6677 acres, all day, it rode great. We came upon a gate which we couldn't get the combination lock open, we seen where ATV's had made a path going up a steep inclinement, going around a post to the other side of the gate, we decided to take this path. My friends went first, no problem, then I tried, got about half way up and it was like it wasn't going to make it up, so, I let it roll back, got a running start, and the same thing, however, this time it started smoking, as soon as I noticed that, I let off of it and let it roll back. My friends said they didn't think the tires were moving when I tried going up it. It was about a week before I sent it to a Arctic Cat dealer, not the same one where I purchased it, but one much closer to where we live. They told me that my warranty ran out once I put larger tires on, talking about being shocked, that was one of the main reasons why I purchased a Arctic Cat, one of their promotions was a 2 year warranty. To make a long story short, I called Arctic Cat (1-800-279-2281) and they told me the same thing, that Arctic Cat does not sale any tires over 26", which is what came with mine. Tomorrow I will be picking it up from this dealership and take it to where I purchased it, they're saying they never heard of this before. You would have thought that they would had told me, if I was to install 27" tires it would void the warranty. I was never shown the owners manual, or where it was located. I have not even had my first oil change. I'm being told that it's the drive shaft, supposedly. At the time, it felt like a flat spot on the belt, sounded and ran like crap afterwards.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty common knowledge that just about any aftermarket upgrade will (technically)void a manufacturer's warranty. I haven't heard of very many dealers that enforce it though. It's always best to take your machine back to where you bought it.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Only oversized tires will void it, i asked my dealer before i bought tires. As long as they were 26" tires, i was fine. I bet you were in high gear, and the dealer didnt tell you to drive the V2 in low. I like AC warranties, and dont think this is a reason to beware of them

Old 09-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hopefully it's not the drive shaft, you probably just smoked your belt. If that's all it is, make sure when you have your new belt installed that you have them check and set for the proper belt deflection, (tight) and also, as was stated above, drive in low when there is any load on the bike at all (hills, mud, towing, and even slow trail riding). If you are going to continue with larger tires, you also may want to consider a clutch kit.
Don't give up on your V2, it has a few flaws, but overall is a great bike.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

it may be "common knowledge" to alot of us, but not everyone has been around quads long enough to know this. in the end, the customer still needs to be informed of voiding the warranty with larger tires. i agree, take it back to the dealer you bought it from.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What's to beware of? A warranty is for an "as produced" vehicle and if you modify it you are "out of warranty" not just on Arctic Cats, but any ATV, car, truck, etc. So this is something that is not only known if you ask, but common sense. I have had my cat for almost 2 years and it is in for a stiff shifter problem, all under warranty. Oversized tires are a no-no and the main reason people have drive train problems. Not surprised they voided the warranty, I would, as this is not their problem.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

I modified my cub cadet the other day with a new color matching drink holder. I hope the warranty is still good on the drink holder. The cub cadet is out of warranty though.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

sorry to hear you had trouble but again dont blame chev,ford or dodge if you put 44" super swapers on it than break an axle this is commen sence bigger tires=drivetrain preasure but hopefully the dealership you bought it from will back you up by doing this work for free.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

the dealer should have informed you of this before selling you the tires. do you have the stock tires for your atv? i have the same tires as you and i just keep the old ones around with the rims on just in case i have to bring it in. rule of thumb is that unless you plan on going wide open down the road at 55 plus miles an hour always run it in low. and 27 inch tires are not that hard on the drivetrain on the 650 with the power that the 650 has. my dealer sold me 27 inch tires and i had problems with it and brought it back with the 27 inch tires on it and they stood behind it cause well they knew and sold them to me. and don't listen to people who try to lecture you about getting oversized tires is a bad thing.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

id try another dealer. i broke 2 drive shafts with my 27' 589's and they warrentied them. no questions asked. told me it would be fixed in a week.

Quick Reply: Heads Up!! Arctic Cat's with warranty "BEWARE"