Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 400 4x4 performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 400 4x4 performance mods?

Originally posted by: MrTommy
My only complaint about our 400's would be jetting for my area. I've heard from my dealer that Cats are jetted for sea level. We live at 5000 feet (and they work just fine) but the times we've gone over 8000 feet (and up to 9500) there is serious power loss. I was taking a friend up to a favorite mountain top (for the view, of course) and I was slowly slowing down as we approached the top of the road. His fuel injected unit was just chugging along while I was slowly dying on the vine. I found if I stopped for a moment, then started fresh, I could gain quite a bit of additional speed. But shortly, I'd be slowing down again. I'm assuming I need to lean these machines out a bit. They're in serious need of more air and less fuel.

Right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
The real problem is there isn't any air up there. For every 1000 feet you go up you lose up to 4 percent (actually it's 2 to 3 percent on average) of your horsepower. The only real cure is a supercharger. Yes, if you jet down it will be better, but you still won't have as much horsepower even with a rejet. For guys like you I would recommend a "Dial-a-jet", which lets you make jet adjustments externally. They work well (I know several guys that have and use them regularly). My 400's top speed at sea level (where I live) is about 52mph. This year while riding at about 5000 feet this year I was able to so a speed run and top speed was only 46 mph. Top speed is an indicator of horsepwer and that works out to a 11 percent lose. For dial-a-jet check here:

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

Old 10-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 400 4x4 performance mods?

Hey, thanks Bear. I've thought about those "dial-a-jet" thingies. I just never knew anyone who actually installed one. I had a guy at a Reno hop-up quad and go-cart place explain how they work and it sounded good and all, but I just never dove in. So you think this may be a better way to go than the actual re-jetting?

This year my top speed finally reached 45 (per GPS unit) on a long straight, flat, well paved dirt road. I was trying to catch my buddy on his 1982 Honda 200 two wheel drive ATV. I was pleased to find that I'd gained 2 mph since last year. I've got just a bit over 2500 miles on mine now.

Now that you've mentioned how well the dial-a-jet thingies work, I just may take the plunge and get one for myself. Thanks.