Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 electrical problem

I have an 04 auto 400 that is having electrical issues. There is no power with key on and battery is good. The only way it will start is with the pull cord and I can go all day with it.....but still no power. Winch, lights etc. won't work. The girlfriends bike is identical and I removed all her fuses in the panel and put them in mine and still nothing. Does anyone know how to solve this problem??? I am not an electrical genius and can't afford to take it in to have it looked at. Thanks

Old 10-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

i had a 04 400 4x4 manual, that the stator went out in, if its not the battery, and make sure the battery has a good connection, first!! then it might be the stator, also follow all the wires to check for a short, if you haven't already!!

Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: deepNmudd69
i had a 04 400 4x4 manual, that the stator went out in, if its not the battery, and make sure the battery has a good connection, first!! then it might be the stator, also follow all the wires to check for a short, if you haven't already!!
The is no way on God's green earth that the stator is causing his problem. The ground from the battery to the frame is a good bet. Remove both battery wires, clean battery terminals and wire ternimals with a wire brush and reinstall. Also follow the ground wire to where it goes to the engine and clean that one and there should be a small wire at the engine ground too, (that's where the rest of the electrical system gets it's ground) clean it. The battery wire at the solenoid should also be cleaned as that is where the power for the rest of the bike is picked up. Does the key switch shut the motor off? If it doesn't, it could be unplugged (saw that once) or bad.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I had a similar thing happen to my 2003 400. If you take apart the instrument panel you may find as I did that one of the hot wires coming from the battery was being pinched between its metal mounting bracket and the plastic. Since the wires up there move slightly when the wheels are turned it took a while for it to short out.

I could pull start the machine and get it to run but no electric start.

I traced my problem by following the juice from the battery to the starter celinoid and then from there to the ignition key, starter, etc. I was actually having problems blowing the starter celinoid fuse. Its the little black box thing that the positive battery cable connects to prior to going to the starter. I believe it has a 30amp fuse.

I could put a new fuse in but as soon as I turned the key POW! it blew the fuse. You should have to remove you right side panel OR look in through the right rear fender well.

Since it will start and run but no electrical starter then its a grounding issue in the ignition circut. Part of the circut is being made because it will pull start and run, so the neutral, and brake swithces are working. Just no power to the ignition key so your starter button, winch and lights won't work. DO they work once the machine is running?

My lights would once it was running but were dim, they would get brighter when I reved it up. Winch would not turn and would make the engine die, too much amperage I guess.

I agree with Bear, its not the stator, just a short or bad ground. Get a test light or volt meter and start at teh battery and follow the juice. to the starter celinoid. From there I believe you have 3 wires to check. Two coming out of the top of the celinoid and a big one off the bottom. One of the top wires goes to the neutral safety switch, the other top wire goes to the ignition switch (orange or red wire I think) and the big fat one goes to the starter. Also remove the clear plastic cover and check the 30amp fuse.

Just keep following the juice. Also, don't worry you do not have to be a genius to figure out an electrical problem. But you do have to be patient. If you use a test light its either light ON (juice present) or light OFF (no juice).

Hope this helps and let us all know if you need more help or have more questions.

SJ

Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Adkheath,

I forgot to add, if you do not have but would like a copy of the wiring diagram from the service manual for your 04 AC 400. Then PM me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of it.

SJ

Old 10-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You for the input! I don't have time to look at it till Sunday so hopefully will figure it from there. There is some great suggestions here.

No, when it's running nothing works. Yes it shuts off with the key. Yes I think I have the wiring diagram, I have a cd manual and it should be in there.

Seeing as how the bike has seen it's share of mud and water, I'm thinking now that one of those ground wires could be broken or rusted. I did clean the battery terminals and tighten connections before. Followed the wires till I lost them, will have to remove panel for better access.

Again thanks to everyone for the input, I will post my results as soon as I have the time to work on the bike(Sunday). HEATH

Old 11-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm running to the same problem at this moment with my 2001 ACAT 400 4x4 manual.
No lights, battery is good and the stator have been change this summer by
www.rmstator.com in case you need a cheap and reliable place to fix it.
My ACAT is starting easily with the crank, and do not know waht to do eaither.
Anybody is a genius to advice.
Thank's

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, the ground trick did not work. Was told today that there is a fuse inside the solenoid and that may be the problem??? Things are pretty busy here so not sure when I can check it but will post the results. Apparently the solenoid is near the rear right tire and looks like a battery (round)

Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

If you find that fuse to be good, try checking the ignition switch. It could be a bad switch. It may still be grounding out the coil when turned off, but not putting any voltage through when on.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

remove all the plastic, dissconnect the battery, locate "ALL" of the harness PLUG CONNECTORS, look at the connector pins for any rust or corrision, get a small fine, brass wire brush and clean it out, then go to any good auto parts store and get a big can of " DI-ELECTRIC GREASE, ( CRC Brand in a spray can about $8 ) and apply generous amounts of di-electric grease inside the connectors and plug them back together. This makes a waterproof and air tight seal and you won't get any more corrosion, This should have been done the first time the ATV was new, and EVERYBODY should do the same thing to their ATV. """" DO NOT USE REGULAR GREASE"""""""" USE DI ELECTRIC GREASE ONLY""""""""""""""

Quick Reply: 400 electrical problem