Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 V2 QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Hi all im new at atv connection. I picked up a 05 holdover 650 v2 for 6799 last month and i have been very pleased with it. Now i have a few questions about it.

I have a bout 120miles on it now when should i change the oil, book says 100 dealer says 300? what oil synthetic or regular and what weight 10-40?

I mainly bought the machine for plowing my flat driveway with my 60inch county plow anything you guys recommend? tire chains, new tires<ive got the stocker goodyear mt/r still on>. It gets pretty cold here in maine so i was thinking about a engine heater but ac doesnt offer one for the v2 and a 20amp hour battery but the guys at the dealer said i probly wouldnt need it. what do you guys think?

Any other general maintence besides driving in low 80% of the time?

And in general how well does this machine push snow?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Hi,
I bought a 06 650 v2 3 months ago today and i love it. I got 750 miles on it and it works awesome. My dealer told me to change the oil at 100 miles then 500 miles. I had to by the oil kit from them for warranty purposes then i changed it myself. I brought it in to them at 500 miles to have it checked over and oil changed. It goes back at 1000 for an oil change and to reset the valves. I don't have a plow yet but i'm sure some of the guys will awnser your question on that.

Cheers

Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

I would do as the owners manual suggests, since that's what your warranty is based off. I changed oil at 100 miles (had the dealer do it and check for loose nuts, bolts and generally checked everything over) then at 300 then again at 600 and went to the synthetic then. But I'm a oil change nut with a new motor. Why at 100 and 300?, because your motor is still breaking in and new clean oil won't hurt the motor. Besides oil and a filter are cheap. With the synthetic you change oil every 600 miles per Arctic Cat. No where does it tell you to change oil at 500 mile intervals and the dealer is giving bad advice if he tells someone that.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

The 650V2 is an awesome machine. As with all the ACs, you can do alot to them. Look at my pics to see. Also, with the V2, you can get the Dynatek CDI and really wake up some serious power, if you want to. Have fun, and be safe! Also, Bear may disagree, but i reccomend changing your front, rear, and motor oils to a good quality Synthetic oil. Amsoil is, in my opinion, the best you can get. If you get the amsoil filter, with the synthetic oil, the drain intervals are amazingly high. But i still change mine about every 750miles

Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

The jetting is not that critical. You are better off being on the Fat/Rich side. Stock jets in the AC are horrible, 122 Kehin Front and Rear. The same motor in a Kawi are 138/142 F/R. Some of that is related to the restrictive intake on the AC. Install a good air cleaner (K&N) and a 2" snorkel and jet up to the Kawi numbers, you will be pretty much on target up to 2000 feet. Above that you may have to drop thos down a little. A good rule of thumb is to keep the at least one size richer in the back cylinder due to the fact that it runs a little warmer, being the back cylinder.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Great for plowing snow - no chains needed and stock tires are ok. Just put it in 4wd. Amazing what it will go through especially if snow is fresh and has not been driven on. I had my dealer put an engine heater on before I took it home but hardly use it. I park it in an unheated garage and it will start easily down to -30 C without being plugged in - just put on choke and press starter. That's good because pull start is difficult even in summer! (My Big Bear won't electric start when below freezing but starts always and easily with pull start!). So you don't need a different bigger amp battery either. I bought it with hand/thumb warmers and windshield - takes the chill off year round when necessary and eliminates bug, wind, rain, dust and grasshopper problems in the summer. I think my old AC500 auto may have been a better machine for plowing the snow and working the garden but the V2 does the job and is a lot more fun to drive.

I just follow books oil change recommendations and use trip meter b for keeping track of mileage since last oil change. Because of the auto clutch slip warning with "improved mileage oil" I use a diesel 0w40 oil year round - Coop DMO 0w40.

A friend has Yamaha 660 and we are about equal in speed and power. He takes me off the line but I catch up quickly. Both excellent but I like AC better because of the 2" receiver which I use all the time for pulling augers, trailers etc... Nice because same as truck 2" receiver so interchangeable.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Most important for me - use in low gear 100% of the time - except for when you are on the road, and are going to go over 50 mph ( and not pulling anything). This has eliminated my belt problem.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Also, somewhere between 300 and 500 miles, check or have your dealer check the belt deflection. Very important with the V2's (at least some individual machines), especially the 04 and 05's with the higher gear ratios. Keep the belt tight, deflection should be between 22 and 27 mm, preferably as close to 22 as possible (on the tight side). Your dealer can handle this easily.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Originally posted by: Bear4570
I would do as the owners manual suggests, since that's what your warranty is based off. I changed oil at 100 miles (had the dealer do it and check for loose nuts, bolts and generally checked everything over) then at 300 then again at 600 and went to the synthetic then. But I'm a oil change nut with a new motor. Why at 100 and 300?, because your motor is still breaking in and new clean oil won't hurt the motor. Besides oil and a filter are cheap. With the synthetic you change oil every 600 miles per Arctic Cat. No where does it tell you to change oil at 500 mile intervals and the dealer is giving bad advice if he tells someone that.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 V2 QUESTIONS

Originally posted by: Bear4570

Quick Reply: 650 V2 QUESTIONS