Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

K&N Air Filter question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter question

Here's the deal, was looking to get away from the stock air filter on my 06 500 cat. There is really nothing wrong with the stock filter ( not made of paper, plenty of air flow from the sponge style filter) but you know how it is, good is just not enough. So I was looking at the K&N filters and noticed that they don't make an filter for the 500 manual. I went to a freind of mine that has a 650 A/C who had just purchased a K&N. Looking at it( HELL WE PUT ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER AND THEY'RE THE SAME SIZE) it wasn't much of a difference. The only prob is that the intake on the 500 doesn't mold to the form of the K&N filter. The stock has a ridge that forms to the intake whereas the K&N doesn't, keeping the K&N filter from sitting flush on the air box. you can make it work and get the air box to shut but it doesn't seem to fit flush but you can force it in and close the clasps but there has to be some part of the box that isn't air tight. My question (PROBLEM) is that I really dont know if it's going to be a good idea to run the air filter. I see a lot of guys on this forum that lists one of the Mods to their bike as a K&N filter on the 500's. If it's true then did you guy's modify the form of the air filter to seat on the intake or are you full of crap? I checked the UNI and there isnt one made for the 500 either. One of the upgrades that I am really wanting to do is the entire airflow system, from intake to jets to pipe. Like I said, the stock filter "LOOKS" like it has plenty of air flow. Would I get the same gains if I left the stock filter alone and re-jetted the carb and added an HMF or Speedwerx slip-on exhaust?

Old 10-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter question

www.highlifter.com has them.