Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

OIL LIGHT HAS NEVER CAME ON

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL LIGHT HAS NEVER CAME ON

I was out riding in this remote area when my oil plug vibrated out. All the oil fell on the ground my buddy had to pull me back to camp. When i got home i called the dealer we bought my bike from its a 2004 arcticcat 400 4x4 auto, we told him what happened and that the low oil light never alite he said that we should still be in good shape no damage on the motor so we got a new plug put some new oil in it 10w40 started it up but now it is smoking like a stack and when i go to give it some gas it just dies. I was wondering if i baked the rings and lost compression. My bike only has 1200 miles on it and the motor is screwed also are all the warning lights supose to light up when the key is on and its on started your help will be greatly taken.

26' mudlites
epi clucth kit
14'ground clearance without lift kit.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumer man hate hear it, maybe you can get someone to help you do a compression test before taking it into the shop ; or if you have a good dealer they might give you a break and try to get it fixed under warranty ! Some will even after wanranty has expired , some will and some won't ; anyway i hate to hear about your problem ! Someone on here will give you the info on doing the compression test , i've seen post's with the info on here . If you don't get a responce try a new post on checking compression...................then someone will give you help ; good luck.............williebee

Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Was looking at the wiring diagram (2004 400 auto) and the oil switch is oil temp not pressure, so it wasn't suppose to come on. Anyway, it shouldn't have come loose and they should fix it. If it was tight from the factory, it sure shouldn't have come loose. Or is someone out to get you?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

While its true the plug shouldnt have come out, I'm not sure we should be so quick to point to the dealer . Who changed the oil last? How long ago? If the dealer did the oil change you may have some justification is wanting them to fix the problem. If however you or a buddy did the last change its entirely possible that the fault is yours, and not the dealers. Lets face it we are all human and sometimes we just forget to tighten things up. Regardless of who is or isnt to blame I wish you luck with getting things fixed.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Bear is right about that, my first avt was a 86'honda trx 350 foreman the first time i had it serviced at the local honda dealer ; the owner of the dealership let a kid do the labor on my honda ! This young kid stripped the oil plug , and didn't tell me about it either i was just lucky enough not to ride it untill the next day ! This happened the day before deer season opened , when i was loading my gun and hunting gear ; i noticed a small stream of oil in the bed of my pickup. I didn't know where is was coming from , so i desided to unload the quad to find where the oil for coming from ; i thought it might be from one of the bottle's of old used engine oil i was planning to take to the auto part's store ! But when i rolled the atv back off the truck , i found none of the oil bottle's were leaking , so i put my hand under the frame feeling for oil and found it was leaking at the oil plug ; i thought they hadn't tighted the plug . I got my socket wrench out and put the socket on the plug bolt and i felt it turn easy , guess what? ; it just kept turning ! Well i got my oil pan under the quad then unscrewed the plug out came my new oil and oil plug with alumium shaving's on the thread's !! I missed opening day of deer season i called the dealer told him about my problem , he tried telling me it must have already been stripped before i brought it in ; this made me a very unhappy hunter !!!! I knew for a fact the plug wasn't stripped before i took it in beacause i had done the previous oil change and it wasn't stripped then !!! The dealer told me to drop it off and he would get to it in a week or so , i told him something i had to ask GOD to forgive me after i got off the phone !$##............ What i did was go to a machine shop and bought a heli coil set and drill bit , and i repaired their screw up ... The same day i went to the dealer and sold him a heli coil set for cost plus fifty dollar labor charge , it left a sour taste in his mouth and he fired the kid !!!! Needless to say i never trusted any dealership after that ! I bought a new 2006 AC 400 auto fis atv feb. 7th 2006 from a dealer i went to school with , it's a girl but she's the best machanic in the state of Ga. ; and she let's me do all my own labor and get's all my part's at 10 percent discount ! I know this for sure , because i got all my honda and suzuki part's from her before i bought my AC ! Sorry for long winded reply.....hope you didn't mess it up to bad.....................williebee

Old 10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Oh Bear i think my 06' 400 has a temp and pressure gauge built into to the pod ? not sure i still haven't found my manual yet , oh well it's buried in the shop somewhere ! ............. i went riding today not, a long ride but it was nice i even got to do a little fishing ; no luck there either but the dude fishing next to me was catching some nice eating size channel cat's ! Had em for supper, they were good eating.................yall take care......................williebee