Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

PULLING TREES 650 V2

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PULLING TREES 650 V2

Hey guys,
this weekend ive been pulling some downed trees out of the woods with my v2 in low gear of course. using a chain around the ball mount. my brother seems to think this is really bad for the wheeler? there not huge trees but good size the v2 didnt even seem to know there was one behind it. but hes a big honda guy to and he said my frame or belt will probly go now. I was using the winch for some of the smaller ones. what do you guys think i should be worried what do you guys do with your machines. better to winch or pull with the bike?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would think that as long as you were doing your pulling in Low range it would not be a problem. The V2 has a Kawi transmission I believe and I am not aware of any difficulties with dependability doing the type of work you are describing.

I can say that my AC 500 has and auto tranny (sizuki I think) and if your friend saw what it does on a regular basis he would think the frame and belt would have failed long ago.

I think many people forget these ATV's are built for work and play. If you made the machine work as hard as some play on them....OHH my.

As to pulling with winch or machine. I prefer to pull with the machine as long as what I am pulling isn't going to get hung up on something and bring the whole machine to a sudden halt. I always pull stuff loose in 4x4 Low range. I am a little cautious when pulling with my winch. I have a remote switch so I do not have to sit on the machine to operate it. It allows me to get out of the way in case the cable fails under tension and flies back at the machine. There have been times I have used my winch to pull something and chained or strapped my machine to another tree to the hitch.

From what you describe you are doing exactly what you need to do. Low gear, and go slow, use the winch when needed. There is kind of a trick to pulling things. You need to play around with it to get the hang of it.

I will end by saying if something gets stuck that I cannot reccomend giving it some slack and hammering the throttle to break it free with out knowing the reason whatever you are pulling is stuck. That sudden jerk can damage things (especially axles).

SJ

Old 11-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive pulled ALOT of heavy things around with mine, and have over 1,000 miles on the original belt, with no sign of wear yet. The frames on the newer ACs are said to be among the strongest, if not the strongest built right now. I only reccomend NOT trying to pull a stump out in REVERSE. The V2 will spin the belt a little, which isnt good for it. I use my winch when i have to pull something stuck, or extremely heavy from the front end

Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the replys guys, yea i wont be using reverse for it. can you really pull stumps out with a wheeler?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Doubt it. It was a figure of speech. But if you go to the Can-Am forums, i bet they can pull a whole tree out of the ground

Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Nice looking Cat catmanv2! You will love the V2, i have over 1100 miles now and its not even a year old yet! Not a single problem either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks v2rider,
I have 34 hours on mine with 980 miles on it. I love this machine and I'm slowly putting some extras on it. I don't get to drive mine everyday but when I do I usually put 100 miles or so on. Your Cat looks awesome.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Pull all you want in low even if the load is to heavy and does not move the worst you can do is spin up 4 ruts in the ground.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TLC
Pull all you want in low even if the load is to heavy and does not move the worst you can do is spin up 4 ruts in the ground.
Yep...I once pushed the plow aginst a railroad tie in our driveway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ...difflock low range and spun 4 ruts....just to see if it was built yamaha tough! It passed the test with flying colors [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: PULLING TREES 650 V2