Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

WOW Arctic Cat sleds rule!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 07:23 PM
guy
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching a snowmobile race earlier on ESPN (I think) and they were reacing on a mx sort of track. I saw a Polaris, Ski Doo Mach Z (I think), and of course a couple of 'Cats. The 2 cats dominated the whole race. Those things FLEW. They had to slow down for the sharp turns but as soon as they got back on the gas they were OUT of there! If I ever take up snowmobiling, I'm buying Arctic Cat!

Old 12-09-2000, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

WOW , you can decide what brand of snowmobile to buy from watching an hour of TV.
You were watching snow cross racing, arctic cat and ski-doo usually dominate this type of racing.They race 440, 600 mod., and 800 open class sleds. These are race sleds not trail sleds, you will most likely be riding on a trail. Race sleds are for about six laps of racing in a heat race not for a day of trail riding (200mi.) The differences are race sleds have very stiff suspensions for big air, custom R&D parts from the factory for testing and custom engines. Pick up a snowmobile magazine and do some research before you buy. A great race sled is not always a great trail sled. Each brand has its own personality, I've ridden all four brands they are all great in there own way. The 600cc class I think is the most popular about 105 to 110 horsepower at the engine. (no joke)

Check out these sites

www.polarisindustries.com
www.ski-doo.com
www.arctic-cat.com
www.yamahausa.com

Old 12-09-2000, 11:33 PM
guy
Range Rover

I didn't mean to sound like I was going to buy a sled tommorow. I was just saying that from what I saw, the arctic cat sleds impressed me the most. I agree that the Ski-Doo was pretty close. But thanks anyway for your help.

Old 12-10-2000, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

actually when racing the brand isnt that important. the rider makes up most of the differences betwwen the winner ans losers. as far as actic cat goes my buddy's zrt 600 is a melon. also a food friend of mine goes to canand and alaska every year and they put on thousands of miles a winter! 4 out of the past 5 years a certain members cat blew up!! it had to be towed for miles in freezing weather! i havnet heard too many good things about cat. although they do dominate a lot of sno -cross races but i bet it is mostly due to the riders ability!!
i took the time to read these so i figured i would write!!

Old 12-11-2000, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

The Mach Zs are open lake speed machines the Ski Doo MXs are used for snow cross races you can tell them off right away, they are the only Yellow ones.Up here Artic Cat and Ski-Doo share most of the win in that sport, there are only a few Polaris and Yamaha wins only.

Old 12-11-2000, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

You have seen 800 class machine in snow cross races? I like to see that, it must be a hard landings.

Old 12-11-2000, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

RPASKE,

What's up? As you are probably aware, snowmobilers are notorious for tinkering with their machines. Some people just cannot leave them alone and change the clutching, skis, pipes, carburetor jetting etc.

A lot snowmobilers for some reason like to encroach upon the safety margins that the manufacturers have designed into their machines by leaning them out and attempting to change the ignition curves. Sooner or later this tinkering leads to piston seizure.

Left in their stock condition most snowmobiles today are reliable and will run for thousands of miles.

The easiest starting sled out there is the ARCTIC CAT with EFI. No primers and chokes to mess with, just pull the starter rope and the sled is running in two pulls under any conditions. The CAT EFI sleds will not melt down and are not affected by changes in temperature or elevation. You could do worse than choosing an Arctic Cat.

While MX, Snow-Cross and grass drag racing do improve the breed, it is not indicative as to how the sleds will perform on the trail or in the real world. Think snow.

Old 12-12-2000, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

Arctic cats are a very reliable sled....I have a 74 arctic cat lynx 300 with the optional rodary engine.Its good enough for me its in its origional condition too and keeps on going every year i run it.Boy is that thing a beast it pushes a good 60 on the lake lol oh well im greatfull for what i have

Old 12-13-2000, 02:17 PM
Range Rover

Did any of you see a Thundercat in action? Let me tell you, it is an awesome sight. My freind has one, and it is awesome. You could be doing 40 and romp on it, and the front end comes right up. Far cry from a few years back when the Wildcat was the hottest thing on tracks. I know the Wildcat is still awesome, too.