Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Battery Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Swap

I'm not very big on 4-wheelers, but I have a 400 4x4, and I'm having the worst time keeping that bad boy started, the batter dies very quickly, it's a Motorcylce battery, kinda small, so I took out the motorcycle battery in our waverunner and it's just a lil' bigger, does this really make a difference, there's no Specs. on either battery. Both are 12v ofcourse. Let me know before I end up doing something I'll regret. Thanks alot.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Battery Swap

Alright, well something typical a Newbie does is not looking in the right area for the same subject. So yeah someone else posted a thread about Batter Sizes, and I guess it seems size don't matter, and its just a little bigger but it will fit in the battery compartment, So i guess I'm good to go. I'll let you know what happens. Wish I knew what CCA is put out, and more specs. But ahh whatever

Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Battery Swap

These forums are so great. You can even answer your own questions. Glad you got it all figured out.

toe

Old 12-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery Swap

Originally posted by: JoeCapo
I'm not very big on 4-wheelers, but I have a 400 4x4, and I'm having the worst time keeping that bad boy started, the batter dies very quickly, it's a Motorcylce battery, kinda small, so I took out the motorcycle battery in our waverunner and it's just a lil' bigger, does this really make a difference, there's no Specs. on either battery. Both are 12v ofcourse. Let me know before I end up doing something I'll regret. Thanks alot.

Generally a battery that dies very quickly is either bad battery or the charging system is weak or not working at all. Also starting proceedure is everything with the carbs used on quads. The big thing is don't touch the throttle at all when starting. Set the choke and crank. It should start and run if the tune up is right.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Battery Swap

HAHA, yeah I can figure things out, it's called "Find it Yourself" if not then ask, Im not gonna be a newbie and have you guys baby me, the forumn's self-explainitory. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SO, yeah Ima hook up the new battery, it's been rarely used, took a volt-meter and I'm getting 11.75 V, which ok, I prefer 12.66, but yeah ima charge it a bit more and see.

Now the old battery it has to be bad, the 4-wheeler is rarely used, the other family members trash it! I would try to start it over, battery at say 12.50v, and goes to 10v quickly, so the cells have to be bad.

I'd have to prime it sometimes, but i know when starting up the 4-wheeler, I have to use the throttle to give it a lil' gas

Where is the damn spark plug, i'm thinking that may be a problem, but I cant find it, im blind...

All in all, thanks for responding people! I love forumns/Communities they help you get the job done, by stayin on top of thigns.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery Swap

Originally posted by: JoeCapo
HAHA, yeah I can figure things out, it's called "Find it Yourself" if not then ask, Im not gonna be a newbie and have you guys baby me, the forumn's self-explainitory. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SO, yeah Ima hook up the new battery, it's been rarely used, took a volt-meter and I'm getting 11.75 V, which ok, I prefer 12.66, but yeah ima charge it a bit more and see.

Now the old battery it has to be bad, the 4-wheeler is rarely used, the other family members trash it! I would try to start it over, battery at say 12.50v, and goes to 10v quickly, so the cells have to be bad.

I'd have to prime it sometimes, but i know when starting up the 4-wheeler, I have to use the throttle to give it a lil' gas

Where is the damn spark plug, i'm thinking that may be a problem, but I cant find it, im blind...

All in all, thanks for responding people! I love forumns/Communities they help you get the job done, by stayin on top of thigns.

At 11.75 volts static (no load) battery is barely half charged. Fully charged should be around 12.60 or better. When running you should see 13.5 to 15 volts (if the charging system is doing it's job. 12.50 volts is only about 3/4 of a charge.

Opening the throttle while starting will actually take fuel away, not add it. These carbs have no accelerator pump. so pumping the throttle is bad and the choke is an enrichener system. When you open the throttle you lower the vacuum to the back side of the carb and the enriching fuel (choke) stops working. DO NOT TOUCH the throttle when starting, FYI this is what the owners manual says too.

Spark plug is at the front of the cylinder near the top, with the plug wire going to it. There is a black plastic cap on top of the plug.