Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

some more questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some more questions

sorry....got a few quesitons....i narrowed my choices down to the arctic cat 400 or 500 or the honda rancher or foreman.....

im thinking about the arctic cat because im getting more for less money.......

i've been thinking about SO much lately i forget.....do ACs have radiators? if so, if i mounted it up on the front rack, what would happen if i COMPLETELy submerged the quad....like, the radiator completely under? if i cant compeltely submerge it , then im gonna have to go with honda lol thanks

Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, cats have radiators. Mounting it to the front rack is no different then submerging it in water at its current location.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

well. can the radiator be submerged and still have it running?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah it can be submerged. It wont be any different than having the radiator at it's normal location. It will work under the same conditions in either application.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

yes it will work,but if your fan is running on a luquid cooled 500 and you go into the water, it will automaticly shut off. i believe the 400's are oil cooled, cant remember if the have a fan or not or just air cooled. if you need to know how far you can go in the water just look at some of the guys pics on here. ive even got a good pic of my 500 in the water,stock(other than tires).

Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

The AC 400 has an oil cooler and the AC 500 has a radiator. Both can be submerged in their current location. The only diffuculty is if the cooling fan, which is temperature controlled, turns on while the oil cooler/radiator is submerged it will damage the cooling fan. Not sure if honda has this issue as well. If they have an oil cooler or radiator with a cooling fan then they have this issue as well.

I wired a switch to my fan that bypasses the temp sensor so I can manually turn the fan totally off or on. Easy fix and is useful at times.

My machine is a manual tranny so I do not have issues with getting water on the belt like an auto tranny. As long as water stays out of the intake its good. I do know of some people who have had issues with water damaging the electronic shifting thing on the hondas. Something to think about anyway.

Hope this helps.

SJ

Old 12-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

ohhhh......well, if i can bypass the fan temp thing i'd like that....and id probably get a manual tranny so i dont have to worry about a belt.....but with bypassing the fan, did you put it on a switch? and my plans with this quad is basically mud mud and more mud......its gonna have a lift and snorkeled tires.....all thats stuff! so i gotta figure out if it can go under water or not...

Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

YES you can submerge your Cat. They are the only Cat that actually likes water[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I have a belt, and NEVER had it slip, and NEVER had radiator or fan problems

Old 12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

Niether honda you listed have radiators just like the AC400 they have oil coolers. But bigger than that, the hondas dont measure up comparied to Arctic cat.
1) AC has 4 wheel Independant suspension with 5 way adjustable shocks and disc brakes, honda has old straight tube type rearend, non adjustable shocks and drum brakes,
2)AC has a locking front differential AC has a true 4x4, honda only 4x3 and no locker.
3) Arctic cat has twice the ground clearance and skid plates standard. No skids on the hondas.
4) honda is not near as strong, frame or suspension wise
Of the two hondas you listed, niether one can hold a candle to even the 400 AC much less the 500.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

yeh....your right about all those....i REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get the AC....im just extremely curious and worried about first the belt and then now the fan....

im not trying to be a pain but what exactly do you do as far as a fan or whatever to make it run underwater?

also, if i got a manual AC, it wouldnt have a belt? sorry , but this is a HUGE deal so i need to figure out what i'd need to do

Quick Reply: some more questions