Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

1996 Arctic cat 454 Bear Cat problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Arctic cat 454 Bear Cat problem???

My buddy just bought a 1996 454 bear cat and when you start it up it runs rough not a good smooth idle.But if you turn on the headlights it smooths out and runs good.Any ideas what could be the problem? I am thinking it could be the voltage regulator but don't know how to check the voltage on it.Can somebody give me a link on where to down load the service manuel for this atv.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

If you have not doe so already I would start by replacing the spark plug. Could be that it is the wrong heat range or carboned up. Plugs are cheap usually around $3 and fix many rough idling problems.

Turning on the lights to smooth it may or may not be effecting it at all. I say this because other than both running off the charging system they are not related.

Replace the plug and check/clean your connections and see what that does.

I am not sure where you can get a manual online to down load. I seem to rememebr a post here that listed a site but I think it was for a 250. Can't seem to find it. Try doing a search for Service or maintenance manuals.

SJ

Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

you may also want to consider some seafoam it cant hurt im not saying it will fix your problem but it cant hurt.and i agree with swampy your lights wouldnt have anything to do with your atv running badly so i find it a bit odd that turning your headlights on fixes the prob but im sure there have been weirder things that have happened . good luck let us know what you find out

Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys for the reply.I tried a new spark plug but still the same thing.I know it sounds strange but yes as soon as you turn on the light switch the motor runs like new,with the lights turned off it won't run good enough to get it to move most times.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a similar problem with a 1997 454 Bearcat.
It starts and idles OK.
Anything off idle and it sputters and backfires and doesn't produce enough power to move the ATV.
Hit the switch for the winch and it runs great.
It's been too cold here in WIsconsin to troubleshoot the problem, but the running the winch shouldn't make it run better.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

wow those are both big draws on the bikes system???? my winch if used enough will shut my inst. pod down temporarily. im totally stumped have you tried calling a dealer to see what they say.please let me know what you come across. im new to atvs but im pretty good with vehicles so i usually try to apply that to atvs even though there totally different they still have to function the same and that goes against what i know

Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

i contacted my dealer for you they say that without looking at it either the stator or regulator if one is putting out too much voltage or if the regulator isnt regulating it you could have that issue but at the same time he says dont run it very much because you could start frying things so i guess your next step is to find out what your voltage is before draw and after and find what it should be. good luck

Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the replies.My dealer also said the same thing voltage regulator.Can anyone tell me what wires coming from the voltage regulator to test the voltage and what it should be?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get a digital (for more acurate readings) Voltmeter (preferebly a decent one from Craftsman or somthing) and just put the black lead on the negative post of the battery and the red lead on the positive post of the battery and read the meter with the engine running should be 13-15 volts. If it is higher than that turn your lights on and see if it drops to this range, If so you have a hole other list of diagostic steps for the stator. I actually have a repair manual for this bike I would sell as I used to have a 454. Good condition used only a couple of times, $15 plus shipping if your interested.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok,I will check the voltage in the morning and see what it reads.Send me an email to hollymustang2001@yahoo.ca and I willl email you my shipping address for the cost of shipping that manuel to me and how you want me to pay for it.

Quick Reply: 1996 Arctic cat 454 Bear Cat problem???