Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What is the porper Break-in method???????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the porper Break-in method???????????????????

My dealer told me not to go over half throttle until I had 100 miles on it.

What is the proper break-in method?

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 AM
HR
Range Rover

well i don't know if i agree about the half throttle thing but as long as you don't lug or load the engine then i think you'll be ok. heck didn't you get any owners manuals with yours?

i went over half throttle just did it slowly. i didn't just gun the engine. know what i mean? just use commen sence and be nice to it and it'll be nice to you. all though you do need to "burnish" the breaks. with as per the directions you need to be doing 30+ mph. witch means more the half throttle.... read the owners manual you'll see.

HR.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say the best is to make sure the throttle is varied a lot. In other words, you can rev it high, but just don't keep it there for more than a second or two. Don't ride around with the throttle in one steady place for too long at any RPM.

The whole 1/2 throttle thing seems to be something dealers tell people. But most engine builders will tell you it is bogus. A lot of the engine guys will tell you to ride it just like you are planning on riding if after it is broken in, so theories vary.

But the one thing most manuals say is to vary the throttle as much as possible during break-in.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks all,

I kinda thought the 1/2 throttle thing sounded like BS.

It's time to ride.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

I would follow the half throttle idea for the first hour to knock the major burrs down, then follow the other advice given here. Be sure to change the oil/filter after the break in to remove the metal shavings.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Range Rover

Break in is important, This will all happen in the first 20-30 miles. you need to seat the rings if you dont want a oil user later, to do that you need to run it up in speed then let off. This will seat the rings and then lets them also get maximum wipe on the downstroke, keep this up, not over reving for a few minutes then park it and let it cool down then repete. After that run it like you plan to use it just dont overheat it. Also stay away from synthetic oil till you have around 300 miles on it.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ride it like you stole it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with the last post. I rode the SHAT out of mine, and it runs like a raped ape after 1200 miles, with no engine or tranny problems at all

Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

if you take it too easy the rings wont will lose thier roughness and not seat good, ss97 is right too, the stock rod stretches constantly when it heats up (expands and contracts) u cant hold it at a steady throttle for long because u have to let all the parts internally heat and cool

Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

oledad is right. i read an article which made sense. your cylinders are roughened up to hold oil for the breakin to help seat your rings. you have such a short amount of time to seat the rings that it is suggested to let it warm up just barely to operating temperature (do not start it to even listen to the motor for a minute unless you plan on ridding it) it then goes on to say once you get it to this temperature to take it out and crack the throttle wide open for about 3-5 seconds and let off hard. do this for a few times going harder and harder a lil bit each time. do this probably 5 or 6 times and let the engine go cool down and do it all over again. if you go slow the rings will actually bow down cause they aren't hitting TDC as hard as at higher rpm's. this in turn creates a ring around the top of your jug allowing less compression on TDC. if you run higher rpms the rings will flex up thus creating better compression. in my person experience i don't do this but i take it out and i run the snot out of it wide open letting off for a second to burp the gas and right to wide open again for about 3 seconds. this i usually do for about 100 miles and i have always had good powerful motors. if you want i could try to find that article, it was quite interesting.

Quick Reply: What is the porper Break-in method???????????????????