Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

new cat in the pride

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just unsubcribed from ********* and would like to join the arctic cat pride. i have just purchased a new ac 500 auto 4x4 and am loving the hell out of it. the low end torque is awesome and the top end speed ain't to shabby either unless you consider 55 mph (with throttle to spare) shabby.

Old 12-20-2000, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Texascat,

Why did you go with the auto over the 5 speed for your 500? Arctic Cat is one of the 3 quad I am considering for this spring. What do you like & dislike about your cat?

thanks

Old 12-20-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

before i bought the ac i rode a kawasaki 300 bayou which had a 5 speed tranny. i just wanted a little more effortless operation. the only shortcomings that i've seen so far would be the severe body roll because of the semi independent rear and the fully independent front suspension and its lack of a highspeed holeshot, but again i purchased it to work instead of play. the advantages are too many to list here are a few:
suzuki engine (tried and tested), solid+protected rear axle, semi independent rear susp., rack capacity, balanced suspension travel, 5 gallon fuel tank, easy maintenance, etc. the other reason for buying the ac is that ac is an american company that has a former polaris engineer working to outdo his former employer.
i hope i have helped.

Old 12-21-2000, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I'm new to the "pride" also. I feel weird owning a 400 4x4 and a 500 manual Arctic Cat here in Texas. I too love my cats! Most of my riding buddies have Hondas and polaris' but they all want a cat now!

Old 12-21-2000, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

"the only shortcomings that i've seen so far would be the severe body roll because of the semi independent rear and the fully independent front suspension . . ."

Did your Bayou have semi-independent rear and fully independent front suspension?

Diogenes

Old 12-21-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Diogenes
You must be riding a different Cat than I am riding. SEVERE body role, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!
Know what you are talking about before making people believe something. There is no such thing as SEVERE body role on my AC500. Alright you AC owners lets here it.

Old 12-21-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Irichard:
Diogenes was quoting a statement from TexasCat there, in his review previously. I'm with ya though, my 'Cat had no severe body roll, even completely stock. The only time I could notice a little roll was to the outside while taking sharp corners at high speeds, though it was only slight. With the IFS, Semi-Independant rear, and the weight of the 'Cat you would think it would have some pretty harsh roll characteristics, though I haven't found any as of yet. Very solid machine, extremely stable as well-in ALL conditions.

On a side note though, with those spacers I added to the shocks both in front and rear, I have to be careful now while speeding through the sharp corners-it won't give as much, sticks right to it's tracks with those big 'Claws, and if you're not careful, will throw ya! Pretty cool, can't believe how much more solid it feels with those spacers. They're a must for the amount of weight I carry at all times.

Getting excited now, get to head up to the property tomorrow afternoon to gather timber for bed work, and play in the snow with the 'Cats, should be fun!

Happy holidays everybody!

Mike

Old 12-21-2000, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry Diogenes, you where just repeating what Texascat was saying. My mistake.

Old 12-21-2000, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer

Well I finally did it. I've done my home work and decided to buy an AC500 manual. You really can't beat the machine you're getting for the money. I also picked up a set of Mud Bugs in 26x12-12s all around for a good deal. They actually measure up to 26x10.6 when mounted on the stock AC 6.5" rims.

Old 12-21-2000, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

diogenes,
the bayou is a whole different animal: smaller, lighter, slower, lower pressure tires, weaker sidewalls, and not to mention i was very used to the bayou's handling characteristics. when i first got the ac it literally threw me for a loop. the ac's weight, higher tire pressure, stiffer sidewalls, suspension, and my ignorance of the ac's handling (in a doughnut) caught me off guard. i'm certain my usage of the word severe prompted you guys into replying to my post, although a harsh word, the insult was severe when i hit the ground and my polaris buddy stood there laughing. now that i am comfortable with the ac i can handle the small amount of body roll i now notice. i did fail to mention that the body roll isn't enough to discourage buying an ac it just takes a little getting used to especially after riding an atv with a lesser suspension system.
the trailing arm rear susp. does not allow the rear of the atv to tip so it slides more easily. the ac's susp. does allow tip to occur, therfore in a tight turn you are likely to experience body roll. in my case, the body did roll, the stiffer sidewalls did not give, the aggressive tread bit, and i ended up humiliated on the ground. don't get me wrong i love my ac and i wouldn't take two of any other atv in trade, but when someone asks me a question i try to be as truthful as possible. thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: new cat in the pride