Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 motor gets pulled apart today

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 motor gets pulled apart today

1200 miles my 650 twin was knocking bottom end who knows they pulled it out today and were ripping the head off today well see torrmorow my 2004 never missed a bit my 2006 was noisy from the beginning

Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Let me know what is up. I recently developed a noise that sounds like marbles rolling around between 2500-2600 rpm... under 2500 rpm everything is quiet, over 2600 rpm everything is quiet. No loss of power, runs like a top, just the annoying noise. I am suspecting my timing chain tentioner, maybe the spring is in need of attention...

Old 04-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MUDSPY
1200 miles my 650 twin was knocking bottom end who knows they pulled it out today and were ripping the head off today well see torrmorow my 2004 never missed a bit my 2006 was noisy from the beginning
An AC mechanic was visiting a neighbor and I asked him to listen to my noise and he said he knew exactly what it was. I have a weak valve spring and he also said that it would not hurt anything just be noisy. I may look on internet to pick up some aftermarket springs and put them in.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

they pulled the head off and did not find anything wrong or no wear thanks to amsoil they adjusted the vaiue guides which were way out which i told them to dolast summer because i thought they were noisy then they say it runs fine they also cleaned the choke cables which always get full of mud on the carbs bad setup i think i will snorkle it now also i will put shrink wrap on the choke cable to see if that will help from getting dirt in the choke cables we will see

Old 04-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Is it quiet now?

With my noise I don't believe the AC mechanic, that a weak valve spring won't hurt anything, that is how valves get eaten. The spring if too weak will not close the valve in time and the piston could hit it.

I am going to buy some valve springs anyway and put them in. I should be able to get a set of 4 for under $30.00 and I can get some gaskets at the same time. Borrow a valve tool to get the retainers off... Maybe I can get the whole thing done in one day. And at the same time while I have it apart I can just get some valve compound and resurface the valves (valve job), not grind them just resmooth them.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

took it home today i thought it was still a little noisy they said not so isaid keep the work order open because i will see what happens

Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

hey buck! about that noise youve been hearing. could it be your belt slapping? i rode a 400 this past weekend ,and his sounded the same with 400 miles on it. just a thought.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mudslinginfool
hey buck! about that noise youve been hearing. could it be your belt slapping? i rode a 400 this past weekend ,and his sounded the same with 400 miles on it. just a thought.
Do you mean the transmission belt. Could be, I can check it out. Sometimes the sound seems like it is coming from the pull-start area. Anyway I put a rubber tube in my ear and started to put the other end on different parts and is does sound louder in the engine area. After speaking with an AC mechanice at a neighbors (he listened to it) and said he knew exactly what it was, he said I had a weak valve spring, and also said it would not hurt anything. Well, when I get the time I am going to put in new valve springs (I will have each new one tested for pounds, to make sure they are all the same).
To me it sounds more like the timing chain, the chain tentioner spring may be weak. That is no big deal about 10 minutes to change that spring. Ha, I say 10 minutes, watch it turn into a whole day - lol.....

Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they pulled the head off and did not find anything wrong or no wear thanks to amsoil

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Gotta love the Amsoil

Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

hey boys took the quad out for a burn at the dealer man if they cant hear the bottom end knock like i did at 40 to 50 mph i dont know what to say i traded it for a 700 le i guess i will to have to see what this motor is made of i will put the 20 mudzillas on this weekend and hit the mud i will let you know he gave me a good deal

Quick Reply: 650 motor gets pulled apart today