Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Old Barkey

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a ac 500 auto in june. Im not really happy hope someone can shed some light. I have to use the foot brake most of the time due to missing fingers on left hand. If I hit brake hard and come to a quick and complete stop at any speed, and then start back up the belt slips. Thus we have named it old barky as it barks at us. Its been back to dealer several times and they told me the factory said it would do that if one hit the brakes hard. Any one else have this??

Old 12-24-2000, 04:16 PM
Range Rover

Mine does this too, but only if I almost slide to a halt and then when I start again the quad is going uphill. It doesn't happen very often to me. Others on here have had the same problem.

It has to do with the compression braking of the belt drive. Someone on here explained it well once before, maybe they'll do it again.

Old 12-24-2000, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Yuppers mine too. I guess it doesn't hurt anything but can be annoying. I read a post here once that was something like: someone put the machine up on blocks with the belt cover off. Got the rpms up (in gear) and hit the brakes hard to stop the drive train. I guess if the drive train stops faster than the belt clutches, the belt doesn't get a chance to ride back up to the top and will bark when it slips back to the top when the throttle is applied again. I'm annoyed by it but if it doesn't hurt any thing I can put up with it. I'd like to see AC fix it though!!!!

Old 12-24-2000, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

Ben---another thing. Thats a single pair of brake pads your using there, your going to wear then out quick, I mean QUICK!!!! Just thought I'd give you a heads up!!! If you can apply all brakes at once, you'll get many more miles out of them!!! Maybe you could get a mod??? Have all breaks, break when applying the foot lever. I'd think a good custom shop could figure something out for you!

Old 12-24-2000, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

I've noticed mine doing this alot while plowing snow (guess I'm locking up the brakes & sliding in the snow). Now that I realize what is happening, after coming to a hard stop, I try to feather the throttle a little at first to get the belt to engage, then nail it & it doesn't make the Bark quite as regular.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Lance

Old 12-25-2000, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

i had a 2000 ac 500 that did the same thing,i put 1200 quick miles on it and traded it for a ac2001 limited edition.someone in the fourm commented about this problem awhile back,it goes something like this,the belt is always turning with the pullies.if you stop to soon before the belt finds the home spot,it will churp finding home spot on the pully when you start out.i hope this makes sense!nothing to worry about.