Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

King of the Jungle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default King of the Jungle

Me personnaly I like the Idea of a SPORT/UTE which is why I bought a wolverine 450. I would like it to have about another 100-150 cc for some additional power, I would like it to be about an inch wider for more of a sporty appearance and less tippy. But for me it fits the bill good enough that I was willing to plop down 5250 for it. If you found a quad and bought it obviously you felt that it fit the bill for you. enough said everyone wants what they want and that is that. I would like to see a 800 cc ute that is still SRA but you know what no manufacture is going to make one because everyone wants IRS now with the bigger quads for a better ride, but I feel more stable on the SRA and dont feel like I am going to tip over, another reason for the wolverine.\

my point is to each their own. Make up your own D@MN mind and get out and ride. Enjoy the thing that makes you happy and have fun.

Just my .02 ignore me if you want to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: ctateusa1
Me personnaly I like the Idea of a SPORT/UTE which is why I bought a wolverine 450. I would like it to have about another 100-150 cc for some additional power, I would like it to be about an inch wider for more of a sporty appearance and less tippy. But for me it fits the bill good enough that I was willing to plop down 5250 for it. If you found a quad and bought it obviously you felt that it fit the bill for you. enough said everyone wants what they want and that is that. I would like to see a 800 cc ute that is still SRA but you know what no manufacture is going to make one because everyone wants IRS now with the bigger quads for a better ride, but I feel more stable on the SRA and dont feel like I am going to tip over, another reason for the wolverine.\

my point is to each their own. Make up your own D@MN mind and get out and ride. Enjoy the thing that makes you happy and have fun.

Just my .02 ignore me if you want to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Exactly right and well said. My only real gripe is with the factories loosing interest in further developing the 'work utility' in lew of sales and money, with the factories in a 'sales race', thinking that 'big bore' is the key. And they know that the US market is orientated toward speed and power.

A side note - I put 1 inch spacers on all my wheels - it works. Since you mentioned that you wanted a wider stance, it may be something to consider.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I will probably go to some different wheels at some point to increase the stance.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

I think if AC wants to build a 900 or a 1000cc ATV great. Someone will buy it and love it. But my gripe is with AC, why should I have to pay more for a 400 for 500 ATV to recover the RD costs for a 900 or a 1000cc ATV? They have not changed the 400 or 500 much other than plastic, which I hear breaks really easy, diff-locker, really good upgrade, and electronic instrument cluster, mixed feeling here on electronics that are exposed to the elements.

As much as I would love to own a fuel injected machine, the thought of it having to be run by a computer, that is used in the elements they way an ATV is is a little scary. To be honest, took me quite a while to trust electronic ignitions too.

I have a friend who is considering putting electronically controlled hydrolics on each wheel of his DVX so it wil hop or bounce while sitting in place. He is working on it now from what I understand. So to each his own I guess.

I appologize if I come across as bashing someone, or a brand as that is not my intention.

SJ

Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: buckaroo50
My only real gripe is with the factories loosing interest in further developing the 'work utility' in lew of sales and money, with the factories in a 'sales race', thinking that 'big bore' is the key.
So spending money on a machine that generates increasing sales in lieu of a machine that doesn't is somehow a marketing flaw? If AC put all this R&D into a machine that isn't at the top of AC sales then how long do you think AC would keep its doors open? Seriously, wake up. The put the R&D into projects that drive sales, not projects that have little to no sales growth potential.

As of that last post you officially gone from:
Originally posted by: buckaroo
Who would want or even need a 950 or for that matter an 800 in a utility vehicle unless you have a special need on a farm or work place.....

These people that 'can lift heavy things' think because of a big engine that they have a better ATV. They are misinformed and disillusioned.....

It is only an ego thing anyway. And who cares about anyones ego except themselves. I am comfortable with who I am. And I certainly don't need an ATV as a status symbol for my identity....

And as long as these 'can lift heavy things' people continue to buy these big engines then the factories will continue to build and push them, because they need to generate a profit......

And I don't give a rats azz what anyone thinks, a UTILITY is a utility, is a utility, is a utility and the need for an 800 utility is needless. If the utility job can't be done with the 400-600 size then get a Kubota tractor. And if someone can't go fast enough, or pop big enough wheelies then get a SPORT type that will. There is a correct tool for every job, you certainly don't service your ATV with just a pair of pliers and a hammer.

I think I will just go buy a 'bull-dozer' and put a blown hemi in it and take it to the drag strip and try to take on corvettes. And if you think that is rediculous then just listen to what some are saying in the forums, it isn't too much different.
Now it's:
Originally posted by: buckaroo
My only real gripe is with the factories loosing interest in further developing the 'work utility' in lew of sales and money
What exactly is a Prowler? I'm pretty sure its the epitomy of what a utility is/should be. So what the hell are you bitching about? You want utility? Buy the Prowler. Why don't you own one already? It's not because it isn't sporty enough for you to take on the trails is it?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Quite obviously you came here with one intent and that was to pick a fight. You have your opinion and I have mine. I wasn't targeting you or even talking to you but you seem to feel that you need to bash. I said what I said and if you can't comprehen it then find someone to explain it to you. If you think you are right then go do a wheelie and pat yourself on the back, because I really don't care what you think. I have my own opinions about things and if you don't like it - too bad.

Go clean your shock covers or something, I think they are getting dusty.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I don't take personal offense, but what you have been saying irritates the crap out of me. People like you go around telling other people what they should or should not be riding and you have no place to do so.You have an opinion about what manufacturers should be doing thats great, but when you think you need to tell someone else they are stupid or "disillusioned" because you disagree then you have crossed the line.

I happen to like not having to pull cattails, grass, and dried mud out of my shock springs. Will they rust a little sooner than if I didn't have them? Maybe, but I guarantee that I will need new springs before they rust out anyway, so what's the difference. I bought them because I wanted them, and that's all that matters.

I can tell you right now that I won't lose a wink of sleep knowing that you don't like them(or me for that matter). I might even die a little happier knowing that for some reason my shock covers have really struck a nerve with you.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Chumley
I don't take personal offense, but what you have been saying irritates the crap out of me. People like you go around telling other people what they should or should not be riding and you have no place to do so.You have an opinion about what manufacturers should be doing thats great, but when you think you need to tell someone else they are stupid or "disillusioned" because you disagree then you have crossed the line.

I happen to like not having to pull cattails, grass, and dried mud out of my shock springs. Will they rust a little sooner than if I didn't have them? Maybe, but I guarantee that I will need new springs before they rust out anyway, so what's the difference. I bought them because I wanted them, and that's all that matters.

I can tell you right now that I won't lose a wink of sleep knowing that you don't like them(or me for that matter). I might even die a little happier knowing that for some reason my shock covers have really struck a nerve with you.
Can you comprehend, what I said was "because of a big engine that they have a better ATV. They are misinformed and disillusioned". Now let me explain it to you - just because a machine has a bigger engine doesn't mean that it is a better ATV - and if someone thinks it does then they have been misinformed or disillusioned into thinking that it does. By the same token would that mean that a Ford Fairlain with a V8 is better than a Porche with a 4 cyl. - I don't think so. Having a big engine doesn't mean that it is a better ATV. Can you comprehend it now?

Yes your shock covers did stike a nerve with me - my funny nerve - I laughed my butt off.

How do you get cat-tails in there anyway? All the time doing wheelies and going 65mph... I didn't know that cat-tails grew in the middle of a dirt road.

How come no pictures of the 650, just the 250? I believe you have one, just wondering why no pictures. You do have one, don't you?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

Since I really do have a strong back and a weak mind I thought I'd throw my 2 cents and a few brain cells into this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1. Suzuki is no longer making the 250 and 300cc engines cat was using in the smaller machines. That's why they're no longer offered. I do think they should have made a deal with Kymco on engines for the 250 instead of the whole quad.

2. I think they should make the Prowler in 1000cc and stretch the wheel base 6".

3. I personally think anything over 650cc is a waste (in a UTILITY quad) due to power to weight ratios handling, and terrain. You also have to consider state off road speed limits. Here in NH it's 25mph and in a lot of places posted to 10mph. 45mph on the frozen lakes in winter.

4. I like shock covers. I just wish someone made them for the TRV since they are 2" shorter than the rest of the line.

5. If I could afford 2 quads, your darn toot'n I'd have Kawi 700 sport quad or the new Polaris 525 sport with IRS.

6. I do agree cat needs to keep up with what I call the working quads (400 & 500). Put MRP plugs on the TRV rear grab handle, shock covers, diff lock, steering damper, come up with plug ins that work for those of us that build the bridges on the trails.

7. I hope they never go over 1000cc only because it will change the insurance ratings on all the machines. I watched it happen to the motorcycle industry and it WILL happen with the atv's.

Time to finish this as my finger is getting tired and my spelling REALLY SUCKs! 15 min to type it and 1hr to look up all the misspelled words. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

As long as they keep making a work horse for me, let them make a 2000cc machine so I can drool and wish I could have both.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now y'all can tell me to go pound sand and get lost for my 2 cents! Get out and ride!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also have shock covers, and they are a benefit to me. I dont think picking at someones accessories will gain you any ground. Thats like me sitting here wondering why your signature states your tread depth on the front and rear tires.

Quick Reply: King of the Jungle