Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

King of the Jungle

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King of the Jungle

I went to the arctic cat ride at LEOR April 21st. The arctic cat rep said that the can-am 800 was the baddest atv out there right now but said when the 08's come out "Arctic Cat will be king of the jungle again". I asked him if it was a 950 and he wouldn't say.Its only about 6 to 8 weeks before the 08's come out. Hope he wasn't blowing smoke.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I doubt its a 950. We cant even ride a machine like that on ATV trails in Minnesota. Im hearing of an 800V2, or an 800 mabey

Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sevenmag
I went to the arctic cat ride at LEOR April 21st. The arctic cat rep said that the can-am 800 was the baddest atv out there right now but said when the 08's come out "Arctic Cat will be king of the jungle again". I asked him if it was a 950 and he wouldn't say.Its only about 6 to 8 weeks before the 08's come out. Hope he wasn't blowing smoke.
Who would want or even need a 950 or for that matter an 800 in a utility vehicle unless you have a special need on a farm or work place. I think the power race is getting a little out of control. The only reason it exist in the first place is because of sales. I would much rather see AC put there efforts into other areas besides big engines. If they spent time on improving what they already have that would make more sence to me.

These people that 'can lift heavy things' think because of a big engine that they have a better ATV. They are misinformed and disillusioned. The only thing that a bigger engine will do is make you go faster, and get you in more trouble or a predicament sooner and break things easier. Not only that but a big engine in a utility vehicle is dangerous. These vehicles are not equiped or designed to go 80 to 100 mph. I learned a long time ago that too much power is worse than not enough. As it is, some that are on the market today don't really have the size or weight to properly utilize the power that they have. They have too much power for the size and weight. I could see having a 700 or 800 but put it in a much bigger and heavier machine, that could get benefit of the additional power.

And who really cares about "king of the jungle" or being the biggest and baddest bad boy on the block. It is only an ego thing anyway. And who cares about anyones ego except themselves. I am comfortable with who I am. And I certainly don't need an ATV as a status symbol for my identity.

These ATV companies need to stop with the 'power race'. In the past we have seen it with cars 'muscle cars' and pickups, motorcycles and now the infiltration into the ATV market. And all they are doing is compromising the true ATV. They are trying to build an 'all-in-one' vehicle. (a corvette with the agility of a mountain goat and the workability of a tractor) and they are not going to be able to do it. And what is going to happen is that everything is going to be compromised to the point that it will no longer be an ATV, with true capabilities. Have you ever tried to plow snow or do heavy work with a 1/2 ton short box pickup with a 454 engine and fat oversized tires. It just doesn't get done.

I would like to see these companies improve on the utility and trail handlng part of the vehicle and stop this crap with big engines. Either that divide the ATV category again into not only sport and utility but split the utility again and have 'sport utility' and 'work utility', and drop their futal attempts at an 'all-in-one' big engine crap.

It is all about money and sales. And as long as these 'can lift heavy things' people continue to buy these big engines then the factories will continue to build and push them, because they need to generate a profit.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I see the ATV industry heading back towards a vehicle that looks an awful lot like my old ******* jeep.

Heck, an 800 vtwin, with the right plastic (can now be purchased separately) it would be nearly the name size and have an identical look.

I know the old surplus military jeeps kind of spawned the off road industry a long time ago. Question is can newer technology actually make the old ******* jeep better than it was? It worked for the bionic man.

But, how much will it cost the consumers (you and I) to have AC be the King of the Jungle, when all I want is an affordable, dependable machine that is easy to fit between trees and is a 400 to 500cc engine.

I agree, they should improve on what they make now, and keep their prices lower. The main reason I initally looked at AC was the product you got for the price. Now you get the same product at a higher price and its not much better quality. Kinda like Honda and PoPo.

SJ

Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: swampyjunior
all I want is an affordable, dependable machine that is easy to fit between trees and is a 400 to 500cc engine
I see you have a '03 400 in your inventory. Congrats on having your order filled, now how about we let AC make an 800cc twin because that is what a CRAPLOAD of people WANT.

Seriously, why do so many people think that because their wants are met with a 400cc 4x4 that the entire industry should just stop making anything else. There is a market for other machines, therefore manufacturers produce them. If you don't want one, DON'T BUY ONE.

Will I buy a 800AC? Maybe someday, but not until I am done with my 650. That doesn't mean that I think no one else needs/wants one.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

I heard or read its like a 1,000cc because I pooped my pants almost lol

Old 04-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

all I want is an affordable, dependable machine that is easy to fit between trees and is a 400 to 500cc engine
I see you have a '03 400 in your inventory. Congrats on having your order filled, now how about we let AC make an 800cc twin because that is what a CRAPLOAD of people WANT.

Seriously, why do so many people think that because their wants are met with a 400cc 4x4 that the entire industry should just stop making anything else. There is a market for other machines, therefore manufacturers produce them. If you don't want one, DON'T BUY ONE.

Will I buy a 800AC? Maybe someday, but not until I am done with my 650. That doesn't mean that I think no one else needs/wants one.[/quote]

Not saying that they should not build an 800 or a 900 just saying that if they do then put an appropriate suspension and vehicle to match it. And quite similar to what you have mentioned about a 400 cc. Why do so many people think that they need an 800 to travel a trail at 10mph. And because of these people the market is leaning toward a sport market and not a utility market. And because factories are going after the bucks they are not improving on the Utility end. I personally do not see the need of overly large engines in a utility ATV. Sport ATV - YES, Utility ATV - NO. No more than a 4x4 pickup cabable of 180mph just to go to the store to pick up some groceries. Heck why stop there, why not put a blown hemi in a Kubota tractor. I like to think that what is just above my shoulders I use for something besides a 'hat-rack'.
I don't care if you want an 800, 900 or 1000, get a sport ATV and go as fast as you want. I would just like the factories to develop and improve on the Utility end and to get away from the 'power race' for the sole purpose of sales.
Even now they have dropped a good market (250-300 4x4) because of the demand for big bore. There are a lot of wives and smaller people and older children that the 250-300 4x4 was just the ticket, that now has gone. What is going to go next because of the 'need for speed'.
Want big bore and go fast get a sport bike. Want a workhorse get a utility. Maybe the factories should develop a whole new segment, take a sport bike and make it 4wheel drive.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I see the ATV industry heading back towards a vehicle that looks an awful lot like my old ******* jeep.

Heck, an 800 vtwin, with the right plastic (can now be purchased separately) it would be nearly the name size and have an identical look.

I know the old surplus military jeeps kind of spawned the off road industry a long time ago. Question is can newer technology actually make the old ******* jeep better than it was? It worked for the bionic man.

But, how much will it cost the consumers (you and I) to have AC be the King of the Jungle, when all I want is an affordable, dependable machine that is easy to fit between trees and is a 400 to 500cc engine.

I agree, they should improve on what they make now, and keep their prices lower. The main reason I initally looked at AC was the product you got for the price. Now you get the same product at a higher price and its not much better quality. Kinda like Honda and PoPo.

SJ
Funny you should mention such a thing - my very first vehicle was a 1946 *****'s Jeep. Flat head 4 cyl with maybe 15 horsepower. Couldn't get the darn thing stuck - didn't have enough power to spin the wheels. Was like the 'coper-top battery', just kept going and going.
Over the past 45 years I have had jeeps, blazers, pickups etc etc. And one thing I have learned is too much power is worse than not enough. I have driven that Willey's Jeep places that no other vehicle I have owned was able to go - to include a CJ-5 and CJ-7.

I'd be hard pressed to get my horse places I took that jeep other than the fact that my horse can swim.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Like I am really going to listen to someone that puts covers on their shocks.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: buckaroo50

Not saying that they should not build an 800 or a 900 just saying that if they do then put an appropriate suspension and vehicle to match it.
Actually, that's exactly what you said.

If they spent time on improving what they already have that would make more sence to me.
That specifically says you don't think they should build a 800, but improve their existing machines instead.

Why do so many people think that they need an 800 to travel a trail at 10mph.
Why do you assume that because you go 10mph on a trail everyone does?

The rest of your post says the same thing over and over: I don't want a 800cc atv, and because I don't want one I think the manufacturers should ignore what the majority of buyers want to appease my own false sense of what people should be happy with.

I like wheelies. I like pulling loads of wood around the house. I like pulling hay racks and gravity boxes. I like to drive 60mph down the road because I have places to go and a schedule to keep. I like loading up both front and rear racks with as much paintball crap as I can so I don't have to make two trips down to the field. I like jumping field approaches and road ditches. But most of all, I really like owning ONE atv that can do it all.

It boils down to this, I don't want the same 4-wheeler as you and there is a crapload of other people that don't want it either. Why is that such a big deal? There are machines that offer more 'utility' than what you are riding. I would suggest you look into one of those, but I don't tell other people what they should ride.

Maybe the factories should develop a whole new segment, take a sport bike and make it 4wheel drive.
They do, it's called a Renegade and it's made by Can-Am. Also, ever heard of a Polaris Scrambler? Turns out they boil down to an all wheel drive sport bike and not much of a utility at all.

Seriously, why are you bashing something so much when you don't have ANY interest in owning one.

Edit**
Like I am really going to listen to someone that puts covers on their shocks.

btw...nice triple post

Quick Reply: King of the Jungle