Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

HELP PLEASE!!! 2004 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!!! 2004 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Auto

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 with a 2500lb Warn Winch, digital Display everything else is standard equipment. I tried finding a repair manual but AC will not provide one to the public for this bike. Anyway here is my issue. My bike runs fine under normal riding conditions. The problem starts when I put the electrical system under any load besides just the running of the engine. I go to use the lights either on high beam or low it does not matter the battery dies and the engine quits within 1 to 2 minutes of the lights being turned on it has left me stranded more than once. The same goes for the winch, I cannot use the winch or the engine dies and the battery is completely drained (I never use the winch and lights together). I have spoke to an ATV mechanic who says it is not the v-regulator because if that failed then the bike would not start in the first place. I have tried disconnecting the winch all together because I thought that the contactor was drawing extra power this turned out to not be the case because the bike and the battery still dies when I turn on the lights. It is a very frustrating issue for me. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

P.S I was told to check my charging system but am not even sure where I would begin to do this.

Sludge Trudger

Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

Ok my background is in automotive starters and alternators not in ATV systems. I can tell you though that your accesories run off off your battery NOT your charging system. The magneto is just there to replace the "juice" drained from a battery by your accesories. (lights,winch,ect.) First check with voltmeter how many volt you are getting to the battery it should be about 13.5 to 14.2. You'll have to idle the machine up a little because the magneto won't start charging until it reaches a certain RPM. Then check your battery with load tester. If you don't have one take the battery to your dealer or the local auto parts store and they will be happy to check it for you.

Also check the obvious, bad/dirty/corroded connections. 8 out of ten times that is usually the culprit.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the Junkman. I do not think it is your charging system.

Your machine has an RPM limited generator I believe. The juice it generates is regulated by the voltage regulator to go to the battery and to run the engine. However, the rest of the accessories are wired off the battery, especially your winch, because of amperage draw.

If your charging system was not working, then with the engine running if you disconnect the battery the engine would shut off. This tells you the engine is running off the battery instead of the charging system. I used to test the alternator in my old truck this way.

You did not say if you have to charge the battery? I would suggest disconnecting the battery from the machine and putting it on a 2amp trickle charge over night for at least 12 hours. Make sure all the cells have H2O inthem before charging. Then test the battery with a volt meter, should be around 12.? volts. Then let it sit for about 12-24 hours and check it again. If the volt meter reads way less than what it first did you probably have a bad cell in the battery.

If the battery tests OK then it could be that your regulator is not providing the proper amount of juice to the right places. There is a test procedure for this and I have a paper service manual I can scan the steps with pictures and email them to you if needed.

Hang in there though, electrical issues can be very frustrating and from what you wrote it sounds like you are on the right track.

SJ

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

swampyjunior

Thanx for the info if you could san those papers and e-mail them to me that would be great. My e-mail is sludgetrudger@unitz.ca

Sludgetrudger

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Junkman thanx much for the input

Old 05-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

swampy, just scan your battery over there lol, see we all can share

Old 05-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Booboobear, I tried scanning the battery but my cables weren't long enough to reach the scanner.

So I scanned the page from the service manual and sent that.

SJ

Old 05-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

As others have indicated, seems to be pointing toward your battery. If it is the origional battery (this makes it 3yrs old). The batteries only last 2 or 3 years. The magneto has an rpm break point of around 2000. Meaning that when the engine is running under 2000 rpm then the magneto is not charging your battery.
If your battery is down on fluid the more acceptable refil is with battery acid and not water.
Most replacement batteries will cost around $45.00, I was able to find one on the internet and printed the page and Wal-mat matched the $26.91 price with their $46.00 battery.
If it is the origional battery, I would suggest not to mess with the acid or the battery period but to replace it with a new one.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Am I the only one offended by Lagchilds' "canibal corpse" pic.? Is there no limit to what we can use here? I couldn't read all of the post because the pic. is so big. Not trying to offend anyone else, just wondering if I'm alone here?