Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2003 Honda Rancher ES Tough Shift/Won't stay in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Honda Rancher ES Tough Shift/Won't stay in Gear

I have an 03 Rancher ES. I am having trouble getting it into gear and once there it may kick out. When I have trouble getting it in gear I can hear shift motor trying but it may take multiple attempts. When I get it in gear it will sometimes be driving along and then the gear indicator will go to --- and I have to downshift and go again.

Also, when I use the autoshift I can't get it to go to 4th or 5th but when I manual shift I can get it there. I have the same trouble of getting it into gear using manual or auto shift, however if I can't get it to go into N using autoshift, I can manually shift in down to N.

I'm thinking it doesn't have to do with ES but could be wrong. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? THanks

Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

FYI I just check ECM for codes showing a code 8 Angle sensor or control motor or related
wire harness or ECU

Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I suspect you have one of the mechanical faults that are quite common on these machines. The easiest way of checking is to turn the machine on it's backside. Remove the front wheels and front wheelarch black plastics. Remove the shift motor and angle sensor. Check if the mechanism now works properly with the emergency lever. If it does, check the shift motor for wear etc, see the other recent posting on ES for details. If the mechanism won't work with the lever, slacken the front diff, move upwards (forwards) and pull the front prop shaft out of the engine spline, then out of the diff. Remove the clutch housing. Care is needed when taking the cover off as a washer on the angle sensor shaft tends to stick to the case and drop off when you have the case halfway off. Several parts on the mechanism can fail. A lever on the angle sensor shaft, that moves the pawl, can crack or break, the pawl can crack, the star wheel on the end of the shift drum can come loose.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

10-4. I found a cheap angle sensor online and ordered it not yet knowing what was going on so I will go ahead and change that. If no luck, I will go down the road you just layed out. It will even be a bit easier than you mention as I have a 2x4. I firmly believe at this point it is mechanical. The emergency shift does work better than the auto but neither is too reliable at this point.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I need some further direction. I went ahead and took the front cover off as being a 2x4 it's pretty easy.

I got it off but just not exactly sure what I'm looking for. You mention the pawl and star wheel on the end of the shift drum. Does any one have any pictures of these?

I did notice the arm that comes off of the angle sensor shaft (lifter lever) has some unusual wear but I wouldn't think that would cause my problem.
Angle Sensor Shaft Arm Photo by Clint_Russell | Photobucket

Old 09-24-2015, 02:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That is the clutch arm, they do sometimes have wear like this from hitting the centrifugal clutch drum, they shouldn't move that far, but some do, maybe clutch adjustment needed?

Follow the angle sensor shaft down, the next lever goes into the pawl mechanism, this little lever can crack round the weld, so it doesn't move far enough to change gear sometimes, it is on a master spline. In the centre of the pawl mechanism is a 6mm bolt that holds the star wheel in place, star, because it is shaped like one. The oil pipe gets in the way, and the clutches have to come off to remove the pawl mechanism, but I think you can tighten the star wheel bolt without this. I always Loctite it in if I have removed the bolt or if it has been loose.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

The arm that presses against the star wheel isn't on the outer rim of the star wheel. It's actually raised and is pressing against the 7 little dowel rods, if you will, that stick out of it. Is that because it's in neutral or is that wrong?

Does that arm move in and out?

Name:  armstar.jpg
Views: 19692
Size:  73.1 KB

Old 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Merryman hope your out there. I think I found the problem. The bolt in the center of the rocker arm was extremely loose. As I tighened it back up, it went into place on the cam wheel as Illustrated in the picture above! Can't wait to get back together and try.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, got it put back together after tightened the rocker arm back up, 9ft lbs. Can't run it because gasket is still drying but just sitting it shifts perfectly through all gears! I am a road test away from being a really happy man. Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Your messages were in the middle of the night here in the UK. By rocker arm did you mean the one marked bolt arm on your picture? If so I have never had that come loose, there's always a first time. I recon that was the problem, that arm keeps the star wheel, and therefore, the shift drum, in the right gear, without it holding position it can slip out of gear.

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda Rancher ES Tough Shift/Won't stay in Gear