Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2 stroke for the 4x4.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke for the 4x4.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ottoman

Come on the 2 smoke atv industry is dead. Not tryin to start anything but there is a reason why all of the major manufactures have stopped making them in atvs, yes the evinrude e-tec is very impresive but give it time and bombardier will drop them for 4 strokes also. The way the greenies are attacking anything that makes noise or polution (snowmobiles, atvs, bikes so on and so on) The will eventually get there way. But ya the 2 smoke atvs were fun I had plenty of polaris atvs back in the late 80s and early 90s and really like riding them. There is just something about the smell of a 2 smoke in the morning</end quote></div>

You might be right about the 2-stroke in ATV and motorcycles being dead. I was only wondering if maybe the factories may eventually offer one, since Evinrude has shown that they are actually cleaner burning than a 4-stroke now, lighter, more powerful and less maintenance, and so much easier and less complicated to work on (pop the head slide the jug off put new rings, reassemble - basically now a new motor). I think it would be awsome.

If by chance AC made one in the 400-500 class I definately would be one that would be interested in buying. I would almost bet that since Bombardiere (Can-AM) is tied in with Evinrude that we may see one shortly from them. Heck why not, they sold in the past and they would sell in the future. Especially since now it is a better, lighter, cleaner, more reliable and more powerfull engine. Makes sense to me....

Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Detroit use to make a 2 stoke diesel , it sounded like it was coming a part . ran good though. as far as the diesel ac , I have a deisel pickup that runs 13.5 quarter miles and works all day long. the diesel techno how is great in the vehicles if only they could get it into a fourwheeler . but I would not buy , the deisel and 1\2 strokes are to much maintanence . Just start the old thumper and go , no letting it warm up for 1\2 hour or cool down , just go. just me though?

Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

Buy an old school scrambler [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] lol

Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 PM
HR
Range Rover

i thought, well kinda remember soeone telling me that the e-Techs were only 2 stroke because they were a rotery engine.? is this not right? the wankel rotery is a 2 stroke engine.? the one that is in the RX-7 and RX-8. that is how thay get so much RPMs outa them. but i might be wrong about then e-techs/
i love the rotery, 1.6 liter producing 600HP. it's GREAT!!!

HR

Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HR

i thought, well kinda remember soeone telling me that the e-Techs were only 2 stroke because they were a rotery engine.? is this not right? the wankel rotery is a 2 stroke engine.? the one that is in the RX-7 and RX-8. that is how thay get so much RPMs outa them. but i might be wrong about then e-techs/

i love the rotery, 1.6 liter producing 600HP. it's GREAT!!!

HR</end quote></div>

A rotary is a rotary (there are no pistons), neither 4 stroke or 2 stroke - and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't mix any oil with the fuel. I guess it's actuall functioning would most closely resemble a 2-stroke - where by it moves past a port to pick up gas, compresses it, fires the fuel, and when the rotor passes another port it allows the burnt gases to exit. Not sure on the intake port if it has a reed valve or what actually goes on there - can't remember.
E-tec motors by Evinrude are 2-stroke - at least that is what Evinrude calls them, and in their videos they show a conventional 2-stroke engine to illustrate the difference between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke.
The only problem with rotaries is that the fuel consumpsion was pretty high. Too bad they couldn't get better gas mileage - I like the rotary concept. Relatively simple, light, powerful, and the physical size is pretty small. I don't know how much they weighted compared to a 4-stoke or 2-stoke. A 2-stroke of equal cc or hp, weighs less and is smaller than a 4-stroke.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 115 e-tec and that thing is amazing it doesnt smake a bit and it has way more get up and go then my 115 4stroke and the rpms top out at 500 where the 4 stroke was 600 but the e-tec still kills the 4 stroke

Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

I agree they sure would be nice. My 99 400 Scrambler is a great machine. It can run with my friends 750 polaris 4stroke. Its a great machine, but the lack of low range means I have to use momentum instead of crawling to get up some things. I sure am liking my 400 4x4 AC. Its a lot slower than the Scrambler, but sure is a fun machine.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I do have to add my $.02 that 2stoke in motorcycles is not dead. I have watched over the last year and many of the the frequent hardcore riders in my area are going back to 2 strokes. The top end overhaul on the new 4 strokes have irritated many and they have decided it's not worth it. The 2 strokes are easy to maintain and good new oils such as Mobil 1 2T synthetic have made overhauls more rare.

I personally looked at many bikes and choose a KX250. With a larger rear sprocket I can ride the trails with any 4 stroke and leave most in the open areas. I also do not have to fight starting or maintaining it. Starts within 2 kicks almost always and has yet to kick my leg like the WR426 Yamaha I experienced previously. I'll admit it has more lag in the low end but once you adjust to riding it then it is not an issue.

As for 2 strokes in ATV's it would likely be hard to market in the Arctic Cat segment. It would be neat to see a 600cc 2 stroke -- it would make the Thundercat look like a little kitten. The advantage to two-strokes would be noise -- they seem to be quieter than a 4 stroke that is "uncorked". I would love to ride one but it would not be great for getting the firewood or plowing snow. Speed and jumps would be the calling...

As for Diesel 4 wheelers -- that seemed to be a wise move. I have seen many ATV's on farms that are used like tractors to haul. The Diesel seemed smart for work...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me that the green weenies have won this battle. I don't think we'll see any more 2 strokes until it can be proved they are like 100 times cleaner than a four, even then they might not want to go down that slippery slope... Also, like roamerr said; diesel makes sence since a lot of wheelers are used like tractors anyway, plus with the AC, the military can burn JP5, the same fuel used in all USMC aircraft and HMMV's.

QUOTE FOR TODAY:

"When it comes to using the American military, no president in recent times had a quicker trigger finger."
Law professor John C. Yoo referring to Bill Clinton.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I think someone already said it, but you really don't want a 2 stroke utility 4x4.

They make no power at a crawl for 4x4-ing... and the engine turns over so easy that there is not much in the way of engine braking.

2 strokes are only good on sport type machines where the intended purpose is different.

Quick Reply: 2 stroke for the 4x4.