Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 650 arctic cat

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 650 arctic cat

I'm new to this sport and bought a 2005 cat 650 v 2. It was good for a few weeks and then 2-3 miles into the trip it would just die. I put a new batt. in it and found that at off pos. it read 12.5 volts and when I started it it went down to 12.0 volts instead of going up to 14 volts or so. Anyone out help me? I don't know if this has voltage regulator or alternator or what. Thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bgbdab

I'm new to this sport and bought a 2005 cat 650 v 2. It was good for a few weeks and then 2-3 miles into the trip it would just die. I put a new batt. in it and found that at off pos. it read 12.5 volts and when I started it it went down to 12.0 volts instead of going up to 14 volts or so. Anyone out help me? I don't know if this has voltage regulator or alternator or what. Thanks</end quote></div>

ATV's run off of a magneto, they have an RPM break point of around 2000 rpm, meaning that under 2000 the magneto will not charge the battery.

Put it in neutral and go about 1/4 throttle and then measure the voltage.

Check the followin link for more detail.

https://atvconnection.com/D...V-Charging-Systems.cfm

Old 05-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Because of the nature of ATV's I charge my battery on a charger quite often. Maybe every couple weeks. Especially after a long ride and if I used the lights much. This is why I ran some wire from my battery to the front fender and have some terminals with wing nuts there. I pull into the garage, hook the charger and that's it... The next day the battery is fully charged.
Don't rely on your magneto to maintain your battery - chances are that it won't.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

The atv starts up everytime I start it, then the last couple of times I went out it would just die. I have been going on a trail that is very slow due to rocks, logs, water, maybe 5-8 mph for a duration of about an hour or so.
Also I was wondering, my buddy smoked a belt and replaced it himself, could that cause this effect if it was not put on right? Or is it just the trail I'm on? Like I said it reads 12.5 volts at off and less when started, my buddies goes from 12.5 volt to 14+ volts when started, thanks again,

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a regulator to me, but try checking all the connections, especially grounds. Mine did something similar, but it turned out to be a blown fuse in the start relay. It could also be a weak battery, if the water is too low, it will only hold a charge for a short time and will have diminished capacity. I got an Odyssey PC 680 dry cell, very powerful, and has a lot of reserve.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bgbdab

The atv starts up everytime I start it, then the last couple of times I went out it would just die. I have been going on a trail that is very slow due to rocks, logs, water, maybe 5-8 mph for a duration of about an hour or so.

Also I was wondering, my buddy smoked a belt and replaced it himself, could that cause this effect if it was not put on right? Or is it just the trail I'm on? Like I said it reads 12.5 volts at off and less when started, my buddies goes from 12.5 volt to 14+ volts when started, thanks again,</end quote></div>

Troubleshooting electronics can sometimes be frustrating. Start with the simple and free things and make a check list and by process of elimination the problem will start to point to an isolated area of where it is.

Take your ground wire off and sand it clean, check your connections for any that may be loose. Check for worn or broken wires and ones that may look crimped. Charge your battery on a charger - check fluid/acid levels. Check any connections that may have become corroded and if you want get some electrical grease and grease them. Check your coil/sparkplug wire.

Problem: Magneto does not charge
Condition Remedy
1. Lead wires/connections shorted - loose - open 1. Repair - replace - tighten lead wires
2. Magneto coils shorted - grounded - open 2. Replace magneto coils
3. Regulator/rectifier shorted - punctured 3. Replace regulator/rectifier

Problem: Magneto charges, but charging rate is below the specification
Condition Remedy
1. Lead wires shorted - open - loose (at terminals) 1. Repair - tighten lead wires
2. Stator coils (magneto) grounded - open 2. Replace stator coils
3. Regulator/rectifier defective 3. Replace regulator/rectifier
4. Electrolyte low 4. Add distilled water
5. Cell plates (battery) defective 5. Replace battery

Problem: Magneto overcharges
Condition Remedy
1. Internal battery short circuited 1. Replace battery
2. Regulator/rectifier resistor damaged - defective 2. Replace resistor
3. Regulator/rectifier poorly grounded 3. Clean - tighten ground connection

Problem: Charging unstable
Condition Remedy
1. Lead wire intermittently shorting 1. Replace lead wire