Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Drive belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive belt

The timing is off due to a loose belt. How do I get the timing back?
Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Drive belt

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Lisalisa714

The timing is off due to a loose belt. How do I get the timing back?

Thanks.</end quote></div>

I don't understand the relationship between the drive belt and the timing. If the drive belt is loose then it needs to be tightened. To the best of my knowledge there are no timing adjustments.
The 650 has a deflection adjustment to the belt and you can change some springs in the clutch. (Chumpley is the one to see about that stuff).
If the timing is off it could be from a incorrectly gapped spark plug, worn parts in the top end (cam, lifters etc), or a stretched timing chain or worn sprockets.
If the timing is in fact off, then it is parts replacement time.

More detail about your problem would contribute for others to help you.
What actually is happening?
What is the last couple things that you did to your machine in terms of maintenance or changes?
How many miles are on the machine?
What year is your machine?
What leads you to feel that the belt is loose or the timing is off?
etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Drive belt

Chumpley? Thats not very nice. I hope that was a mis type. On the other subject, the belt has nothing to do with the timing. Like stated, what is happening?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Drive belt

it didn't go into limp mode did it? is the belt light on? seems like these threads are coming back again.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Drive belt

The belt light kept coming on. I took the cover off to see if the belt was loose.
The belt didn't appear to be loose and I couldn't figure out how to adjust it anyway.
I started the quad with the cover off. Everything seemed to be working fine so I put the cover back on and now it backfires. It's not running properly.
Thanks!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Drive belt

Backfire generally come from water. However, in any case it is carb related.
Make sure the air vent to the gas tank is not obstructed.
Clean the air filter.
Clean the fuel system to include the carb.

Try putting carb/injector cleaner in your gas.
Try spraying carb/injector directly in your carb while the engine is running.
Take the carb off and clean it

Make sure the sparkplug is gapped correctly.
Put a new one in if need be.

When you took your side cover off and put it back on make sure the ground wire has a clean contact.

While you are doing all the above, pick up a gas filter they are only a buck or two and install it between the gas tank and carb. I use a plastic one for a lawnmower, cost $0.99, I replace it every time I change oil.

This will keep you busy for a day or so, if it doesn't take care of the problem let us know.

Also let us know what you were doing just prior to the problem developing.
Let us know any changes or adjustments you made recently.

Consider this as I have never had to clean a carb or ever had carb related problems. I premix my gas for my ATV, snowplower, lawnmower etc. in a 6gal gas can.

I put 1/2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil, 1/2 oz of carb/injector cleaner, 1/2 oz of dry gas for every gal of gas. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I can't say enough about Marvel Mystery Oil. It helps clean your system, breaks up any carbon deposits in your engine, helps lubricate the carb and prevents gum from building up by providing a slick surface. I helps lubricate the top end of your engine. Helps your engine run cooler. Helps provide a seal for your rings on the top end - for better compression. Helps prevent predetonation and flat spotting. Helps prevent hot spots on your piston. Helps disspurse the gas more evenly. Helps lubricate the valve seals. Helps to provide a better valve seat. Cushons the valve seat like lead used to do in leaded gas.
If you want a little more power add 1/2 oz of (Alcohol) for every gal of gas. Alcohol burns on the surface and doesn't explode so your gas will be utilized and burned more effecently, it also helps to atomize your fuel (break big droplets of gas down to a mist) for better dispursion. It will also lower the temperature in your combustion chamber several degrees, probably around 100 degrees lower. It also lowers the ambient temperature of your gas - like running a 'cold can' or 'ice-box' in your fuel line. For around $250 you can have a remote float bowl and induction system with variable jets. lol, little off topic but fun to talk about.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Drive belt

Disregard my first post. (I'm posting this for my husband who is dictating it to me. We don't seem to be speaking the same language!) There's a warning label that says "do not run quad with this cover off" (the cover that covers the belt) I did it anyway and now it backfires. It ran great until I took that cover off. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Drive belt

the belt tripped the switch inside the belt cover. flip it the other way and you will be good. you can clearly see it. and also i will tell you this is a big upgrade, spend the 200 dollars and buy a dynatek cdi and you will never have this discussion again and you will gain massive horsepower and not have to worry bout the override in reverse and welcome to the forums [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Drive belt

oh and you need to reset the system which you should have gotten the lil plug with the system. easy to do after you learn it.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Drive belt

will do that and keep you posted. Thanks very much for your help!

Quick Reply: Drive belt