Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

TRV 400 Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRV 400 Idle

Went out riding today with 2 new 700 Kingquads. Both of them 2007 and one had stock tires and the other had mudlites. Not real impressed with the 700 Kingquad.
I could go through mud holes that they wouldn't even try. When they did they used locker and still didn't get through what I did. Some will say it is the rider, but these guys are better riders than me. I have a question when we were riding. Tempetures were aroun 85 degrees and I noticed my fan did not come on. My TRV would not idle. It would run ok, but once you let off the throttle it would stall.
One of the Kingquads started doing the same thing? I was told the Atv's were getting hot so we shut them down. No lights came on nor did my fan. The kingqauds fans ran continuosly. After 5 minutes or so we fired them back up and they ran fine. At the end of the day my fan kicked on.

With the engine stalling is that a sign of the engine getting hot or was that BS. Also anyone had this problem. I think my fan is ok, for it did turn on towards the end. Remember we were in mud most of the day, so it should of helped keeping the engine cool. Atleast I think it would.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRV 400 Idle

Guess you answered your own question. When working them hard they do get hot. Running in mud will not keep it cool it will be working very hard. If you drive it in a water hole and just let it idle then yes it will cool down.. I have had my fan come on in the middle of the winter when the outside temp was below zero. I found the best thing to do when the fan comes on is a couple different things. Get on a trail that you can easily cruise and get air to it or stop and let it idle with the fan running until it cools down.
They will stall if they get hot. You loose power when hot and at idle it may be just enough loss to stall it.
Here is a suggestion - Get some Marvel Mystery Oil, read the directions on the can and ad it to your gas. It will help your engine run cooler, as well as a host of other things in your gas line and carb
I mix 1/2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil, 1/2 oz of dry gas, 1/2 oz of carb/injector cleaner for every gal of gas. I premix my gas in a 6gal can that I use for the ATV, lawnmower, snowblower etc.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default TRV 400 Idle

You may be able to mess with your pilot screw a little to keep it from stalling when it gets hot. NOT the idle adjustment screw, but the pilot screw for your pilot jet. It is located under your carb closest to the intake manifold. Takes a very, very short screwdriver or loosen the carb (from the intake and air box) and rotate it a little, make an adjustment and rotate it back. Clockwise is rich and the other is lean. A start reference is screw it all the way in and then back it out 1 1/8 turns for a 400, I think it is 1 3/4 for a 500 and 2 turns for a 650 - not possitive on the 500 and 650 I would have to look it up to make sure, but it is close. Any way those are just start points and then you make your adjustments from there. If you have to turn it out more than 3 complete turns or if you are less than 1/2 turn from full in, then you need to change the pilot jet itself, and start over from the reference point.