Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

new...Help??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new...Help??

alright im new to all this but i could really use some help!

im looking to buy a new ATV! sumthin around a 700 and so far i've seemed to like Arctic Cat and Yamaha but im not to sure about any of it!

Can anyone tell me the low down on all the pros and cons to all of them!

Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default new...Help??

They are all pretty good. What kind of riding will you be doing the most. Some bikes will do some thing a little better than others.

If this is your first ATV then you may want to talk with some people that have them.

With regard to motors bigger isn't necesarrily better. Just means more gas consumpson and faster top speed. Just riding trails and having fun you don't need a very big motor, if you are going to tow heavy loads etc and have a need for the extra power then you may want to take that into consideration. Can save you a lot of money. Unless you have considerable experience you can get yourself in a real mess in a hurry with gobs of torque, even break things.

First decide what kind of riding you do, what you want the ATV to do, and find the one that suits your needs the best. All ATV's have strong points and weak points.

I ride what I do for my reasons, yours may be different. But I have the AC because it is big, strong, heavy, rides good and goes where I want it too. I have a 400 because I don't need or want to go faster than 50mph. The clearance is what I wanted with the long wheel travel. I am a destination, trail, woods rider. I plan a trip and my goal is to get there and back and enjoy the ride and scenery. Anything in front of me I will either go over, through or around but I will somehow get there. The engine is very reliable and when I turn the key it starts every time. And in low-range it has all the power that I want or need. Quite often in the really rough stuff too much power is worse than not enough, if you have any experience at all then you know what I am talking about. (a 1000 hp blown hemi would suck on ice, but a 35hp VW would go good).

Old 06-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default new...Help??

A strong similarity to Reconranger

Old 06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new...Help??

yeah I plan on mainly riding tails/woods/mud and maybe some rocks cause I live near Tellico

and yes what you were saying about too much power does make sense!

I want something that will take me wherever I want to go whenever I want to go!

Old 06-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default new...Help??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ThexNewxGuy

yeah I plan on mainly riding tails/woods/mud and maybe some rocks cause I live near Tellico

and yes what you were saying about too much power does make sense!

I want something that will take me wherever I want to go whenever I want to go!</end quote></div>

Fromt what you describe then the AC would be a serious consideration, not because I have one but because they are built like a tank, have very good ground clrearance without doing a ton of mods, very good wheel travel for articulation of climbing over rocks stumps etc. AC tries to keep things simple and they are relatively easy to work on in the event that you do your own stuff. Next is engines - I would recommend the 400-500 class. Adequate power, good gas mileage and very reliable, Suzuki engines are very reliable. Yesterday on a 90 mile run I got 24+ miles per gallon and I was not babying it either. AC gives you a really good bang for your bucks. Several other brands you'll need to spend a lot of money on after market stuff (lift kits, tall tires and other mods) just to equal what AC gives you right from the factory.

But as I said I have my AC for my reasons. The final decision is up to you, it is your ride and your money. Buy what you want, and not what someone else wants you to buy.

You may not win many drag races, that is because the AC's are heavy (almost 100 lbs heavier - so you know that they are not made from old beer cans) and not because the engines are less powerfull. Advantages of heavy is smoother riding and more traction and better pulling ability.