Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Local Police Force

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this topic has been discussed before, but while out today looking for etching to be done on glass tops for the log tables I'm now building, I came across one of the local police pickups, with an atv in the back. Swerved over a little closer at the gas station to get a closer look, and decided to pull in when I saw AC 500 Auto on the side.

Anyway, got out and talked to the guy, said the force has picked up two Arctic Cat 500 Automatics for off-roading. I guess they've been using them a lot lately to bust parties and kegs out in the sand dunes, as well as other hard to reach area's that they can't get to by truck. From what he was saying, they've been able to greatly increase the number of MIP's and such with the use of the 'Cats, cutting down on minors drinking. Also have caught a few drug dealers, and slowed that down as well.

He was asking about my 'Cat, what kind of tires I had. I guess they've been having trouble down in the river beds lately, as the trucks around here run on 44" swampers, and the stock titan 489's don't handle those ruts too well. I suggested a few brands including the 'Claws of course, and gave him Highlifters address, as well as a couple others. Don't know if that was a wise decision on my part or not, but hey, it was fun talking with him about the 'Cats and their useage. The main off-road 'Cat is basically stock, with the added red/blue lights and siren. The second one has one of those windshield fairing things on it, along with the lights, siren.

Also, I'm now wondering if that deal AC signed with Massey Fergeson hasn't spread to other tractor dealers now. It seems our local John Deere dealer has just signed a contract with AC as well, and is now a licensed distributor/dealer/mechanic. They're now selling AC atv's and sleds as well, servicing both too. They've even got a couple J.D. implements for the 'Cats-mostly rear blades and rakes now, but supposedly coming out with others soon.

Anyway, thought you might be interested, AC seems to be growing steadily in the market share these days.

Best of luck in the New Year!

Mike