Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ac 400 enough power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001 | 10:53 AM
|
Trailblazer

I was out riding yesterday in the snow, and met up with a guy who had a brand new 2001 AC 400 4x4. I noticed that when trying to go through deep snow banks along fence lines or where the snow had drifted in, his AC would not turn all four tires...in fact only the back two would turn! He was in high range and 2nd gear. When he down shifted to first gear then all four would spin.

Now my old TRX 350 does the same thing, except in 3rd gear. When I down shift to second, then all tires would turn. Note that I am not talking about 3 wheel spin as mentioned in other posts.

So, is this normal? Is the AC 400 a little underpowered? I thought it would have more power than my old TRX 350 (I know...they are geared different). Perhaps in those circumstances the AC should have been in low range?

Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-02-2001 | 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Should have been in low range in those circumstances, or 1st high.

Old 01-02-2001 | 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. I think the 'Cats gearing is kind of inbetween, for a lack of better words. The high might be a little "too high" for that deep of snow. I was just busting my own trails through about 2' deep snow up on our property over Christmas. High range, it lugged down pretty good, but in low range, all four tires throwing roosters of snow in all directions, couldn't stop me if you tried! Man it was awesome. After I broke a few trails, I could then put it in high range and really get moving-over the same trails I had just made, that was a blast. Although mine is an Auto 'Cat, I would think the gearing for high/low range would be quite similar, though I could be wrong, I still think he should have been in low range through that stuff.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 01-02-2001 | 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

How was your holidays Mike?
Talk about a wierd winter for us up here. We usually have about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow by now. All we have so far this year is 2 inches of ice on the ground. Pretty good riding though. All swamps and lakes are froze. We haven't even gotten below 10 degrees yet either. The other day it was 27 degrees in New Orleans and 32 up here. Of course the northern part of the state was -32 degrees. Well have you gotten any more meat for the winter?
Later; have a great New Year, Larry

Old 01-02-2001 | 11:42 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

I have a 400 4x4 and have never experianced this problen, in fact it sounds like something ain't right with that quad. I got my manual out, and as far as I can see front and rear wheels are connected by gears, nothing to slip. As far as power goes these machines are geared low for bottom end torque. I can't comment on snow, cause I have not had anything deep yet, but in the mud, mine will pull the Titan 589's in the worst kind of slop with out lugging at all.

Cheers Jim

Old 01-02-2001 | 11:55 PM
Max
Weekend Warrior

I have a '97 454 AC which is only slightly bigger in displacement then your buddies 400. It does however share the same chassis and drive gear (in fact I think disp. is the only difference!). I can honestly say that my AC will always turn at least three tires (and hopefully all four!) if it turns any. I also know that snow is really quit easy to spin if your high-centered or burried. I am able to bury my AC in some gumbo mud and it is usually able to turn the tires in 2nd gear. If not... thats where low range comes in!
Remember the front and the back wheels are locked mechanically and if it spins, then both front and rear tires are spinnin'. If not, there is trouble in the tranny.
Just my .02

Happy new year all!

Max

Old 01-03-2001 | 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree with the majority that something may not be cool in the tranny dept. I have a 2001 400 4by and have never encountered that prob. before and I have had it in snow a muck with no prob. I have to agree with the other opinion on the gearing being in between but that is the advantage of have a low range. I am the type that would rather be in low 4th gear than in high range in 2nd due to the stress that is exerted on the drive train. But that's just my point of view.
Happy Cat-tin...

Old 01-03-2001 | 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Irichard:
Hey, how ya been? Hope the holidays went well for you. Myself, we did alright, but I must admit I'm glad there over with now. Just gets to be a little stressfull around all the relatives, if you know what I mean. We've had some funny weather down here as well. In fact, we had snow on christmas day this year-first time in quite a while now. And, running around on the 'Cat up at our property was a blast as well, in over 2' of snow. Dragging skid plate all the way, pushing through bumper, occassionally headlight deep snow the whole way, with the 'Claws throwing stuff everywhere. Tons of fun. I'll get some pics posted here in the next few days-I hope, and let you know, should be some good ones.

After re-reading the original post, while I still think in that deep of snow you should still be in low range, I also have to add that there could be a problem as well-along with what the others have said. I must have missed that part about the front wheels not engaging until he dropped to first gear-that just doesn't sound right at all. All four should be spinning, even if bogged down.

When I said my Auto bogs down in high gear in that deep snow, I still have all four spinning, the engine is just lugging a bit more than usual. Drop it into low gear, and look out, nothing can stop you. I'd have it checked out myself. Of course, tires will have some effect-mine are 27" 'Claws, which take a little more to spin anyway, though even still, you should have all four spinning regardless when in four wheel drive.

Best of luck!

Mike