Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ATV suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV suggestions...

hey folks,
it's been a while since I've visited the forums, and I'm again considering getting an AC ATV.

I now own a 2acre lot that I've recently had logged, and have a lot of clean up work ahead of me. I'm trying to determine what is the best approach for my money, as I would like to buy something that I can use to pull a trailer during my clean up work, and later, use with a tiller for prepping a small garden as well as prepping a small food plot for deer (1acre or less foodplot). I figure that being as expensive as ATV's are, there must be a tow-behind tiller that would be good for prepping a small garden and a modest food plot?. Rather than buying a more expensive lawn mower that can handle pulling a tiller in addition to buying an ATV.

so basically it's one of these options:

1) an ATV big enough to pull a tiller, and trailer for yard work, then purchase a less expensive lawn tractor for mowing. saving money on the cost of a lawn mower, rather than buying two similarly priced items

2) a larger, more expensive garden tractor for pulling a trailer, pulling a tiller, and for lawn mowing, then save for an atv down the road, ultimately paying about the same for a garden tractor & accessories (tiller, trailer) as I would for an ATV

Not asking for mower suggestions, but rather a 'what would you do' and suggestions for what model AC ATV would have enough power/torque to pull through dirt with the tiller, and towing loads of wood. and what equipment would be good to look at for trailers and tillers to pull behind.

I figure I would be able to make more use of the ATV by making it the workhorse and save the wear and tear on the lawn mower....whatchya'll think?

Thank in advance for your comments.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

Get a good ATV and you can get attachments for about anything you want, including lawn mowing. Swisher makes both field mowers and lawn mowers that attach to ATVs. I plan to buy a field mower for mine this next spring. See my photos winching and hauling wood on the same trailer I used to haul the ATV home from the dealer. All I had to do was put a 2" ball on the hitch. The only thing is, mine is not an AC, but a Honda Rancher TRX420FM. You might consider it.

Here's a link to Swisher ATV Attachments

And Moose Utilities has some interesting accessories.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

A 400 or 500 will get the job done. You can go bigger but the cost is also higher. If you go too big then you may not be able to utilize the power adequately. (May end up just spinning) In many situations too much power is worse than not enough. A 4 cyl VW would win hands down over a blown hemi, in a drag race on ice. It is all about getting the power to the ground for usable traction.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

Like buckaroo said a 400 or 500 is plenty for what your looking for.

also check out Summit Atv products at www.summitatv.com for some great food plot products and atv wagons.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks all for your feedback. I'm rather glad to hear that the 500cc models would be sufficient. I really lean towards the manual just for the work I'd be using it for and being able to gear down would be beneficial? (might possibly get a small plow for it to handle the driveway)...I'm not really familiar with the automatics and how they handle heavy loads....

As for the attachments...is there anything out there for a disc that would have some sort of hydraulic assist to put down pressure on the discs? rather than having to add weight to the top somehow?

thanx again

Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

If not a form of hydraulic tiller, a self-powered tow-behind tiller would do well too. so far I've found just these two:

5HP tow behind rotary tiller

DR Roto-Hog power tiller

If you know of any others, please list them here, thanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: buckfu

thanks all for your feedback. I'm rather glad to hear that the 500cc models would be sufficient. I really lean towards the manual just for the work I'd be using it for and being able to gear down would be beneficial? (might possibly get a small plow for it to handle the driveway)...I'm not really familiar with the automatics and how they handle heavy loads....

As for the attachments...is there anything out there for a disc that would have some sort of hydraulic assist to put down pressure on the discs? rather than having to add weight to the top somehow?

thanx again</end quote></div>

You might want to reconsider the automatic. First of all the standard still uses automatic clutches - so does the automatic tranny. Next thing that comes to thought is that the automatic tranny will always keep you in the correct powerband. Never a mistake for gear choice. Last thought (not that it would ever be an issue) but by chance if it comes down to overstressing - I would rather have a belt slip than to mash some gears in the tranny.
The automatic is just as strong if not stronger in my opinion.
I help a friend yard wood and my 400 auto will pull more than his 500 Honda. Why? probably because my machine weights more and am geared lower, maybe more aggressive tires.
This was my fault and not the machines but one day I got stuck and was really into the throttle in low range when the right rear hooked up really good - results I twisted a rear axle and snapped it like a tooth-pick (axles are same for 400, 500, 650 at least). Point being, the 400 has the guts and the automatic tranny is plenty strong.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the feedback on the autos...I have a dealer that happens to sell both the lawn tractors I like and ACs so I may take a ride up there today and talk shop a little.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

well just got back from the dealer...I'm not sure of the rules about posting pricing, but I'm not listing the dealer name so hopefully it will be ok to post the prices I got.

500cc manual: $5850 in stock 07
650 H1 Auto: $6250 in stock 07

Now I know this is just the initial pricing before any serious haggling and additional research (might look em up at atvcost.com) but just curious as to what ya'll thought of those prices. I'm going to stick with the 500cc model though.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

You can post names, etc. For comparison, here is an Arctic Cat dealer that list's their best price (the don't negoatiate) so what you see listed is what they sell them for. www.thomassnosports.com

For what you have listed the H1 is a no brainer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]