Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Riding with a passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with a passenger?

I know, I know, no passengers allowed......but, for those that do, do you find enough room?

It will be on occasion for my wife and I. Before I make the jump, I want to make sure that there will be enough room for us. I'm a decent sized guy. 6'1" and 250#, my wife is 5'3" and 140# dripping wet. Can we both fit on the 650 or 700 with enough padding. It will be a once in a while thing, but still something to consider.

The Kawi seat is nice and long, but it just doesn't float my boat otherwise.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

Only if she's naked,,,,Then it's ok .....Bahahahahahhaah.........

Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

I seldom use my quad to ride two and I find there is lots of room. I picked up a rear storage/seat and it makes the ride comfortable.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

get a luggage seat that opens from the rear

Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

My wife and I rode our '04 650 V2 together for two years with a luggage seat on the back. The one thing she wanted was some foot rests so her legs didn't just dangle all of the time. But you do have to be very careful in any steep terrain or side slope situations. After two years and having her drive occasionally we decided to get a second machine. So we bought her an '05 500 TRV. We liked the longer wheelbase of the TRV so well that we traded off the '04 and got an '07 650 H1 TRV. The TRV is ideal for riding two up and I still prefer it for riding solo. If you ride double on a std. machine just be very careful and you should be ok.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

The longer wheelbase of a two up machine is ideal if you can afford it. I cannot afford it. Hence I ride a "beat to sh*t" 01' 500 manual with a kimpex storage/passenger seat on the back. It works fine with a passenger except in the steep stuff.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

And you probably have just as much fun on your "beat to sh*t" 01' 500 manual with a kimpex storage/passenger seat on the back as we do on our two up machines. Our first ride was riding double on one of those "beat to sh*t" 01' 400 manuals without the box on the back. We ran out of gas about 10 miles from the trailer and had to be towed out on very dusty trails with a 10' strap behind our friends machine. And we still enjoyed it enough to go out and buy our own machine. Getting out and enjoying it is more important by far than what you are riding on.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The wife and I ride two up on our 2006 400 auto all the time. We have a storage box/passenger seat and a set of Kimpex foot pegs. To tell you the truth, I can't even tell if she is there until she starts laughing her a$$ off. I am 230 lbs and she is........well, lets just say she is not what she was twenty-two years ago. Nuff said on that!! Kidding aside, the machine actually feels a little cushier with her on back, and it will still push the 50 mph as it does when I ride solo. It is alittle light in the front when going up steep hills, but we haven't even begun to roll over yet. Quite comfy actually. Just my .02.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider

I've had a few people on the back of my 500i. On level ground, the 500i handled another person okay. But that's deceptive. Hit any sort of incline, and your steering is pretty much gone. And it happens without any warning. You try to turn, and it goes straight. It happened to me with a 120 pound kid on the back, and the 500i is no lightweight. I did get the front end back down by leaning over the handlebars and sitting on the gas tank. Fortunately, I learned this when I didn't really need to turn. If there had been a dropoff, it might have been a different story.

I'd love to take my wife on rides with me, but I'd also like to keep both of us in one piece. These big quads are dangerous enough without inviting trouble. So I'm selling the 500i and getting a trv.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you set up your rear suspension to carry the extra weight, you will be fine. Like I said, the wife and I ride double all the time. Roughly 600 miles with her on the back this summer. We ride some pretty hilly terrain also, quite a charge of mud, rocks, you name it. If you think about, the rear rack capacity is what.....about 200 pounds? Just stiffen up your rear suspension and go ride. You don't lose your stearing either.

Quick Reply: Riding with a passenger?