Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Possible engine knock!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible engine knock!?

I just noticed that the arctic cat that i recently bought makes a knocking sound when you gas it. Could this be a rod or valves or what? I read on here somewhere that arctic cats make a knocking sound when reving or accelerating but this still worries me. You can only hear it when it is reving not when it is at a constant throtle. It also does not smoke at all and still runs perfect. Can yall please give me any imput you may have!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: alabama90

I just noticed that the arctic cat that i recently bought makes a knocking sound when you gas it. Could this be a rod or valves or what? I read on here somewhere that arctic cats make a knocking sound when reving or accelerating but this still worries me. You can only hear it when it is reving not when it is at a constant throtle. It also does not smoke at all and still runs perfect. Can yall please give me any imput you may have!</end quote></div>

Knocking or pinging. If it is pinging then it would appear that the gas quality is not good indicating low octane. However, your AC should run perfectly fine on regular grade gas. It may be lean on air/fuel mixture also. Checking your spark plug can give you some idea of what is going on. I like mine just a tad on the rich side. If this is a used AC you may want to put in a new spark plug and clean and re-oil your air filter. You could also put some carb/injector cleaner in with your gas.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: alabama90

I just noticed that the arctic cat that i recently bought makes a knocking sound when you gas it. Could this be a rod or valves or what? I read on here somewhere that arctic cats make a knocking sound when reving or accelerating but this still worries me. You can only hear it when it is reving not when it is at a constant throtle. It also does not smoke at all and still runs perfect. Can yall please give me any imput you may have!</end quote></div>

alabama90..What part of Alabama are you from???