Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

custom cow pusher for cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

for those of you who don't know a cow pusher is a front bumper. i would like any ideas on my plan for a big and brawny front bumper for my ac. the trick will be to make it as strong as possible without adding too much weight. i've been kicking around using muffler tubing or thin wall square tubing with an aluminum floorplate (diamond plate) face plate. building it won't be a problem but mounting it will. maybe using the winch mounting holes along with secondary braces secured to the oem bumper. if i would decide to get a winch, i would probably mount it in the new bumper with a custom receiver mount.

the main reason i want an extended bumper is because i just don't trust the plastic stick stoppers the ac came equipped with. this bumper would allow me to plow down most snags before they have a chance to circumvent the stick stopper. of course some snags a just too damn big to push, in that case i'll just pull out the stihl 029 super farm boss and make some kindling.

another reason for this bumper is make the cat look like a juggernaut from hell, you know, an awesome, often supernatural, unstoppable force.

any comments, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

texascat, aka ryan.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I installed steel stick stoppers (Oxlite CV joint Protectors). They are heavy duty and are bigger than the rubber stick stoppers that are on the 2001 cats.

Old 01-11-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Get Some ox-lite boot guards and take alook at the Ox-lite bumper on thiscat.

Old 01-11-2001, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

TexasCat:
I agree with the others, I'd put on a set of new steel stick stoppers, just for insurance basically. I frequently run over a ton of small trees, snags, other such debris, and with out the Cycle Country stick stoppers I got with the 'Cat, I'd be dead in the water with a bad cv joint for sure. Guess that dead in the water bit was a bad choice of words considering what just happened the other day. Be working on that tomorrow.

Have you thought of Titanium? That would be super strong, yet light as hell! Problem is, it's expensive as hell too. My 'Cat dealer is good friends with a guy who makes that stuff, does some really nice work I might add.

As for the cow pusher bit, sorry to do this to you, but I'm afraid it's story time!

See, my cousin and I were up at my property during the summer. Anyway, this was definately bad on my part, but we had a couple beers earlier in the evening, then around midnight or 1:00 a.m., decided to go for a midnight ride, as there was almost a full moon. Well, he's in the lead, we go flying through one of my big meadows, when all of a sudden I see the break light on my Dad's 'Cat. I'm thinking OK, maybe he's a little worried about going through the 3' deep grass, no problem. Just then, I loose sight of the break light entirely, but see headlights shooting strait up into the sky! Now, I'm thinking what in the hell is going on up there, this is a flat meadow, just deep grass, nothing else. Well, then I see the break light a good 6' in the air easy, then the 'Cat go crashing back down to the ground. It stops for a minute, then my cousin comes flying back towards me, as I'm approaching him. His eyes are as big as grapefruits, with his jaw dragging on the ground.

So, what the hell is going on here I asked. He shakily says "a bear! a bear! I just ran over a bear!". I'm thinking yeah, right. There is nothing for them to be eating out in the middle of the meadow, unless he's just out for a stroll-we do have tons of black bear up there. Anyway, I can see a critter standing over there, so I hit the lights on it and go investigate, with my Smith 686 in hand, just in case.

Was it a bear? No, but close enough. It was a huge bramah bull, with a terrible headache! The bull had been lying down sleeping, when my cousin road up on him, then hit him, and jumped right over it! You could still see tire tracks up his sides, man it was funny. Poor thing had this dizzy look about him, kind of shaken still. Then, he pretty much snapped out of it, and decided we were now his midnight snack, so we got the hell out of there real quick like, being carefull not to run over any other hidden cattle.

Anyway, sorry to bore you with story time, but that "cow pusher" would have been reeaaaalllllly handy in that circumstance!

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 01-11-2001, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I liked your story, Cowboy. Reminds me of the time I ran over a sleeping deer. I drive slower now when I can't see well in front of me.

Old 01-11-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Farmr:
Hey man, how ya been? A sleeping deer? Man, that's a rare occassion, you'd think the deer would hear you coming and be gone before you were able to run over it. Interesting, good one!

Mike

Old 01-11-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Man, I bet ya'll had a good laugh Cowboy. That was a good story.

Old 01-11-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Now thats funny. I love the part about the tire tracks.

Old 01-12-2001, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

cowboy,

hey man that's a great story not boring at all and i do like your choice in firearms the sw 686 is a gun i have yet to acquire but am planning on soon. whenever i go out riding i pack my glock 21 .45 acp with four ten round clips stacked with 230 grain hardballs. if i can't stop it with that maybe i can just slow it down enough to make a fast getaway. i have never run over a cow but i have chased them...you would be amazed at the speed a 1800 lb cow can achieve when being chased by a paintball gun wielding maniac on an atv.

i have seen the aluminum cv protectors advertised for other atvs in magazines but not for arctic cats. i have access to plenty aluminum floorplate, a sheet metal break, and a plasma cutter, is there any way i could make them myself?? all i need is dimensions and a picture.

my dealer showed me some heavy duty plastic (1/4" thick) protectors that fit the lower a-arm and provide protection front and rear. but i would still be stuck with plastic and still dreaming of aluminum.

hey i saw your pictures...nice buck, congrats. the week after christmas we went hunting in junction, texas and, while we could not shoot bucks, i got an axis doe with my 220 swift (head shot) and a whitetail doe with my 338 magnum (2 inches behind shoulder but still hit guts...i will never do that again, conclusion: rifle too big, quarry too small, and shooter too damn crazy).

i'm gonna do some ridin' this weekend, i'm going crazy here because i've only riden my ac for about 10 minutes all week.

hey man have a great weekend.

ryan.

Old 01-12-2001, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, we did have a good laugh after that one-though after we got the hell out of the meadow, and made sure he wasn't still chasing us. I did go back the next day during daylight to check on him, as well as roughly 200 others, he looked as if he had a good headache still, but was otherwise OK. This time, he kept his distance which was a good choice on his part.

Damn, 40 rounds of 230 grain .45 acp! Man, if you can't kill something with that, I think I'd, well, run! Hate to see something that big in pursuit of me-hey, ever thought of mounting a barret .50 cal to the front rack of the 'Cat??? I've pondered this a bit, and would love to try it, you know, on a swivel mount base and such. That would be pretty cool I think, though probably not exactly practical. Of course, I think people would really run the other way if they saw me coming with something like that mounted up. I get a lot of looks as it is now, with a .30-06 up front, shot gun on the back, 686 in the carhartt pocket on my right side (perfect holster) and .32 walther on the other side, along with a K-bar. Occassionally I've got to reassure them I'm not some crazy out there running around with guns, but rather I'm either hunting, or target practicing. Then they usually calm down a bit and are more friendly. I guess I can understand where they're coming from though, I'm sure I'd be a little nervous of a 5'10" 235 lbs. guy loaded up with firearms. Sure funny to see though. Wait a minute, didn't you say you were something like 6'6", 350??? Damn, now that is big! Definate intimidation factor there-you lift weights much at all? I just started back up again after about 2 months off. Hope to get some serious size put on, then cut down a bit between now and June.

Anyway, getting of the subject a bit there. You can order stick stoppers from nearly anywhere. Cabela's, dennis kirk, high lifter, hi-per sports, numerous other places. I think I'd get the steel ones over plastic though, just my opinion. Of course, if you could make some aluminum ones out of diamond plate, that would look pretty sweet!

Best of luck,

Mike

Quick Reply: custom cow pusher for cat