Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Battery Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Voltage

I have a 2007 AC 400 LE. I ride it at least every few days. Yesterday I was riding it and noticed the battery seamed a bit weaker than normal (lights were dim and a little taxed on startup). After about 20 mins of riding, my display went black and flashed "volt". The book says that happens if voltage is too high or low. Mine was low. The fluid levels in the battery are ok. I am wondering, is there a recharging system in these quads? Or, do they need a typical battery charge on occasion? I have installed moose racing heated grips and thumbwarmer, but these are on a keyed switch, so there is no power if the bike's key is in the off position. I am a little concerned, I hope there is no electrical problem! Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Dan

Old 01-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery Voltage

Yes it should charge battery. If you have a meter at about 3000 rpm measuring battery should have about 13.5-14 volts. Try with warmers off then with warmers on. You do not really get much charge until it is over 3000 so if you are idling alot the warmers will be draining the battery.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Battery Voltage

I posted this as a New Topic today.... I'm baffled...

'07 400 LE
Arctic Cat is baffled and my dealer too!
I was riding at night and my battery voltage dropped below 9volts. It shut off my display and flashed "volt" The head lights were too dim to see (I posted a previous message about this 2 days ago) Since then I took into the dealer. Anyway... I ruled out the battery...it's good. I called the dealer today and apparently my charging system works if the lights are OFF or ON in LOW BEAM. If the high beam is switched to ON, the charging sytem drops off and does not charge. The dealer unplugged the harness from the light bulbs on the High Beams only, and switched ON the High Beams, the charging system worked fine. Plug the harness back into the lightbulbs and it doesn't work again.

ANY IDEAS??? Arctic cat can't figure it out. It is still inder warranty. The dealer also replace the voltage regulator with a new one and it didn't change a thing!

HELP!!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Default Battery Voltage

if its still under warrenty id drop it off and tell them to call me when its fixed. or call another dealer and see if he wants the business. tell them if they cant figure it out, they need to replace the whole wiring harness. the day you bought the bike extended warrenty or not, you bought a warrenty and the bike isnt working properly. this one problem could become a bigger one later. you never know. good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery Voltage

Sounds like you have a short to com in the hi beam circuit. Maybe has rubbed through, been pinched, or melted. Try trace wire back from the hi beam.

Dealer should definately take care of it. Just sound lazy to me, should not be that hard. They have wiring diagram, current meters etc.