Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2007 Arctic Cat 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Arctic Cat 4x4

I just purchased a new 2007, AC 500 4x4 manual shift and its a really nice machine.....BUT, im a little disappointed in the performance end of things.

It brand new........has about 30 miles on it so its not even broken in.......but i just thougth going form a polaris 325 to a brand new 500 manual i woudl see a pretty big difference. Could the cold winter air, and snow on the road rob that much performance.......im jsut curious.......been rigning these things for 20 years and just thogut it woudl have more *****...lol

Dont get me wrong, its not slow.........but i just wonder if thats all its gunna have. I knwo its not broken in.......and i really have not gave her a good run cause i want to break in it right........but will it change much.....will it get more power after the recommended break in period.?

Are there cheap mods to make if i want a little extra snot out of this thing?

Other than that.its an awsome machine.....im very very happy with my purchase.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

give it 3-500 miles and it will really wake up. cats arent speed deamons here torque monsters so it probably wont have the pep of your popo but it will tear a tree down. lol and also with snow on the ground you cant hook up like you would if it were dry. you can do the carb slide and slide spring mod to it. search around i posted how to do it a few weeks ago

Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, like i said, its far from gutless.i just expected more form a manual shift 500.

Its only got 30 miles on it, and im going to break it in nice and easy, so ill give it a few hundred miles and see what happens. I love the machine already though, its so big and comfortable, and has wicked ground clearance.

If i have get 80-85 kph out of it i will be very happy, but im not going to know for a while.....i think they say about 10 hours of varied RPM for a good break in and no throttle past 3/4 open.
Not sure if it will go 10 hours.....lol.....but it will be close and not abused.then we will see.
Definately open to mod ideas regardless.....lol

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

its only going to top out at about 50-52mph. cats are more low end, better for pulling, rock crawling,working. 3500 miles on mine and with 28" tires 48 mph is all i can get. im not a looking for speed though. there are a few mods you can do ,just search around. good luck with your new cat!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

there are all different break in methods some dont baby it at all. i personally varied the throttle quite a bit but no more than 3/4 for the first 50 miles then i started to give it wide open blast every once in a while for the last 50 miles. not alot just here and there. and theres alot to add power to your 500, cdi units, aftermarket pipe, snorkeling, dynojet kit,carb slide mod, clutch kit. etc etc. those mods will run ya from free to $3-400.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got the exact scooter. Overall I'm fairly pleased. I've found the low end power to be good. Not alot of top speed, but that doesn't bother me. It seems that the plastic is paper thin. I've busted the rear fender already, and the front fender has actually bent in 3 places.
The other weak link seems to be the rubber cv boots. I've gone thru 8 of these puppies. I love the ride from the independent suspension, but I'm getting tired of replacing those things. Cold weather starts have been great. The digital gas guage is quirky at best. I have 270 miles on mine and the power does seem to be increasing. I've taken it easy on the engine during break-in and changed the oil and filter at 100 miles. By the way, mine has the Suzuki engine.
I love the front lock differential, and the selectable four wheel drive. I wish it had two brake levers, only has one on the left and the foot brake pedal is useless if you're wearing heavy boots... These are my opinions after one Alabama deer season....

Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

jmj when you get about 500 miles on her adjust the valves thats were youll notice your difference. every time my valves are adjusted my atv feels like a totally different machine.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will do. I've ordered the replacement rear fender assembly. Tried plastic welding and it keeps busting in the same spot. Kinda dissapointed in the plastic. I sold a Grizzly to get this and I'll have to say, I really like the cat alot better than the Yamaha. The ride is wonderfull

Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im very inpressed with the ride the AC 500 offers, i know its winter out and things are a little stiffer, but i went for a 30 km ride, about 22 miles i guess and i loved it. We had to go up a old skidoo trail on very steep hill and i was the only one that could get up it on a ATV....thanks to massive ground clearance and the diff lock.

im going ot break it in easy for about the first 100 miles...then start to go to 3/4 anf full in short blasts......so far i have maybee hit 1/2 throttle....and got about 67 kph or about 42 mph out of it but i wont go faster till its broken in.

when should i switch it over to a nice full synthetic oil.......yea i knwo they recomment brand AC but what is everyone using in these things....i want good oil.....i want that insurance..

i dont think ill have any trouble gettin 80 kph or 50 mph out of it from what i saw......that should be easy........my concern was really jsut the accelleration from a stop the way i was riding..

Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 AC is not the top acceleration performer in the 500 Utility class and the 5 speed makes little difference for acceleration also.

500 Utiliy clash

Another 500 comparison

Quick Reply: 2007 Arctic Cat 4x4