Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Fix up a 400 tbx, or just buy something?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix up a 400 tbx, or just buy something?

So, there's a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 tbx 4x4 sitting in an outbuilding, with at the very least, a bent frame, from when someone crashed it into a tree last year. (or maybe, the year before.)

I'm a bit new to the idea of taking an atv out to goof off on a trail, or whatnot, and not too keen on the idea of buying something new. I've gotten a quote on repairing this at about $2500, given the fact that the entire thing would need to be stripped down and put into a new frame, as well as a few other things needing replacing. It seems the engine is still in operational condition, but anyway.

I'm not much of mechanic, so the possibility of simply buying the parts and doing it myself is remote, but possible, since I think the parts necessary could be acquired for about $1k.

Regardless, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth fixing it up, or whether it'd just better to invest in a new or used quad.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

A new machine used will run you at least $3000 if not $4000 so the $2500 to rebuild sounds cheap. Especially if you can cut the cost down by doing some work yourself. If it is a matter of taking things off of one frame and putting them into another that is a fairly simple process.

I would suggest since you are new, to do it yourself. That way you can learn about your machine along the way and it will be easier to maintain it once you begin riding. The expensive parts are the motor, front and rear differentials, and electronics. If you run into a problem, look around on this forum or post a question as there are many here that can help you with your project.

If it were me I would get a service manual for your TBX and make a list of parts and contact your local Cat dealer for Prices.

Good luck,

SJ

Old 03-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. I was kinda thinking along the same lines, so it's nice to know I'm not missing something obvious.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Manuals you can get on line, and check ebay regulary for parts. i know one ATV guy that buys blown atvs, strips them and sells every thing on ebay. Just sold a whole 650H1 2007 IN PIECES...