Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

anyone got a new Arctic Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone got a new Arctic Cat?

I think ive decided that im gonna sell my 01 500 4x4 manual and get a brand spanking new arctic cat. Anybody here have one of the new ones and really like it. My buddy has an 07 400 and its badass. He can run circles around my 500 in the fields and his ground clearance will leave me sitting in the mud. Are there any problems with these new arctic cats? Im gonna use it for everything, work around the farm, trail riding, and mud bogging, and im thinking about the new 500 manual, but how reliable are the autos? My girlfriends has a honda 400 thats less than 5 years old, and after a few years of working and hard playing, the auto is shot, it lost every gear but first last week, so im a little skeptic. Any ideas?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Don't have to worry about Cats Automatics, they are bullet proof. I have owned both manuals and Autos and I would never own a Manual again. If I were you, I would look for a 07 or 08 year end deal on a 500, 650, or even a 700 EFI. There are some great deals out there right now if you spend some time on the phone.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

must be talking about a semi auto ,not totally auto no shifting on most Arctic cats

Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

If you want to talk bullet proof look at the Honda Rubicon. I had one before I got the 06 500 and never had any problem with it, only changed oil. I only kept it 4 years but when I got rid of it it was still running like new and that goes for the transmission also. There is no way that you can beat the Rubicon transmission. and no belt to replace. And when I sold the bike I had 9984 miles on the bike. Yes 14 miles short of 10,000.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

BWB916, Got my AC 650 H1 Dec21 07. Love it. Plenty of power and fast enough
for me. I ride in creeks, mud, trails very steep at times, and more mud.. Don't know that it is really that much faster than AC-400 but has more low end torque for sure..

Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

backwoods i have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 12 inch ground clearance 376cc Susuki Engine with Suzuki's Duramatc Belt Driven Clutch Transmission , it had the big 6.5 gallon polly plastic fuel tank mounted in the rear ; with the filler neck and gas cap that come's up through the right rear plastic fender !

I love my 400 but it's doesn't have the power of the AC 500 , i have a friend i ride with sometime's who has the semi Auto clutch geared tranny , i can stay nose to nose with him in a holeshot but when he get's to 5th gear ; that's when he leave's me eating his dust !

And pulling a heavy load the 500 has more pulling power from the get go , i still only have less than 500 miles on my 400 and i've been told the 400 doesn't really openup untill around 800 to 1500 mile's ; i have checked the top end speed of my 400 Auto 3 time's with the built in stock speedomodor and it stick's at 40 mph at half throddle but i can feel it picking up speed but the speedometer still stick's at 40 mph !

I bought the 400 mainly because the 500's and up are all liquid cooled , and for me that was just more part's to wear out and replace ; and my former atv's all were great with only the air cooled with the oil cooler and fan for cooling with out a problem where i live in North GA and that's all i need !

I've had it in water up the the headlight's with the stock setup with 12 inch of ground clearance , but if you want a manual with the Semi Auto clutch with the geared tranny ; and you live where the cllimit is hotter you might need the liquid cooled engine and the extra power if you tow a trailer hauling big load's !

So what ever you choose you will be in good company , as for my AC 400 Auto i love it and i would never go back to the Semi Auto clutch for my use i'm a Bilateral Amputee ( Both Leg's just below the knee's and i alway's had to make a hand shifter ; so good luck and have fun and be safe !

I was whatching SPIKE TV a few night ago and there was an AD about some atv's having roll over's more than other atv's , this law firm was asking anyone who had or knew someone who had broken bone's or worse to call their 800 number ; so the Ambulance chaser's are on the move and this was only aired once and this was the first one i had seen on TV !.......

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

I have an 07 650 H1. The only complaint i have about it is the tires, the are fine for normal trail riding, but when you want to get in the realy slippery, muddy stuff they don't work to well. But of course the tires are the easiet and most common thing to change, so as soon as i get the money i will be getting some new rubber. Plenty of Power and ground clearence. All in all great bike.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Trailblazer

I bought my wife a new 07 H1 last month and it is okay. The only thing I don't like about it is the noisey engine and only getting 60+ miles to a tank of gas. I like the ground clearance and the smooth straight line ride and of course the wife likes the no shifting part.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Capt. Bob

I bought my wife a new 07 H1 last month and it is okay. The only thing I don't like about it is the noisey engine and only getting 60+ miles to a tank of gas. I like the ground clearance and the smooth straight line ride and of course the wife likes the no shifting part.</end quote></div>

I think the gas milage will get better as it breaks in. And your right about the engine, it is a bit loud, but it makes it sound so muscular.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the fuel mileage of the 500 or the 650 H1 , but my brother and i went to Prentss Cooper in Chattanooga TN when i only had 98 mile's on my 2006 AC 400 Auto , it has the big 6.5 gallon tank mounted under the rear of the quad ; this large capasitiy fuel tank is the same size as the 2007 and 2008 AC's !

We were late getting to the reserve because my brother missed the exit , so we had to go up the back side of the Mountain to the parking lot ; out of over 200 trail's we only had time to ride just 2 trail's !

There's a 25 MPH speed limit on both the main access road's and the trail's themselve's , the USFS and the DNR set up on both the access road's and trail's to catch speeder's we only had time to ride 79 mile's ; when we got back to the parking lot i topped off the tank of my quad from a 2 1/2 gallon jug of gas i alway's carry with me when i ride !

The AC 400 took less than half of the gas in the jug to top off the tank on my 400 , my brother forgot to bring extra fuel for his Wolfverine ; so he used what was left in my gas jug to fill his tank and there was about a half gallon left in the jug !

So if the Odometer on my 2006 AC 400 is correct i had to get close to or a little over 30 MPG , but if the Odometer work's like the fuel gauge with thw bars then it would be like a toss of the coin ; the fuel gauge is useless even with a full tank while riding this thing goes up and down like a Duncan Yo Yo !......

Quick Reply: anyone got a new Arctic Cat?