Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cats With Cracked FRames

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cats With Cracked FRames"></title><script src=

jusy curious if there was any new news ?havent checked in a while..got my plastic off this weekend ,going to weld the piece of s*** back together this weekend...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

Well I bought an '04 new in '04. I now have less than 500 miles total as it is used mainly for utility purposes around our place. I have had it on some pretty rough trails in Michigan and it has been submitted to some fairly radical twisting, but no jumping. Since I read your post, I have checked all over the frame and have not been able to locate any cracks. (Thank Heavens) But I have to add that it being a 500 TRV weighing 732# dry, it may be a different frame. One way or the other, thanks for bringing this situation to ligh for others to know. It's guys like you who make the entire industry better and they know it. They don't intentionally try to make a bad product. Especially in light of the fact that there are people like us for a system of checks & balances.

Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i guess you have to do something right every once in awhile..consider yourself lucky

Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

had my bike out with the new frame for 3 weeks,(800 miles) and the sheet metal by the air box is already broke. Go figure! And all the riding was on the same roads cars and trucks ride!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

To give you guys a update my new frame is totaly wasted, 9 breaks in all. had to cut another trip short. Had the old frame tested at a lab, allso was able to get a wrecked 07 frame from a dealer and they are currently going to test it. the 05's results! the steel used should not be used in frames! I need a 1in. peice from a 04 does anyone have one, as my suspision is that it will be the same makeup. I will also need the vin with that. I am also taking a peice off of my 2000 400 to check it

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Motrapper,

I was happy to see you get back with all us as to your problem. Since I replied to your post last year, I had put my '04 thru a LOT of stress with our snow up her in NW Ohio. I have had to use the Quad to plow constantly since the first week of Jan. It's been light, medium and heavy in weight, so it has gotten a workout.

Here's my take on it. I bought this '04 500 new in '04 and the only problem I've had was trying to figure why it would stall in the evening. Turns out it was a kinked Gas Tank Vent Hose. BUT, I have the TRV. So it makes sense to me that AC used a different metal setup on the TRV to handle the 750# weight factor and it's 96" length.

I've made it twist and bounce a lot with the snow banks. The TRV comes right off the ground when I hit the banks.

I would have to think, in light of your problems that it has to be the difference in the standard and the TRV.

What do you think about this point of view? Make sense?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Artic Cats With Cracked FRames

ARCTIC CAT'S ARE THE BEST! THEY SHOULD BE CALLED POLARIS RECOVERY VEHICLES!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default Artic Cats With Cracked FRames

Could very well be that they used a different make-up. AG on onother forumn was saying he thought the problem was linked to certian vin range, that could also be true, but why don't A/C let their customers know that? IT would be better for them in the long run, and their dealers. I know of at least 30 or so potetial customers that went to another brand after hearing about this problem. This Last trip, I babyed this bike from start to finish and it still broke. The roads out west mostly 2 tracks and they are pretty rough with a lot of twisting and bumps in the center of the 2 track. I carry a lot of glass jars and never broke one so you know you cant go to fast. So many think that this is only the 650 models, its not.