Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Winding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winding Noise

Hey Everyone,

I am new here and have a question about my ATV. It is a 2004 Articat 400 automatic. I am finding lately when accelerating or coasting I hear a winding noise, what sounds like it is coming from the engine as the noise changes as I accelerate or slow down. Has anyone else had this experience?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winding Noise

sounds like mine.the 2wd to 4wd switch went out and now a turn the key before i even start it.i whines and doesnt stop.im trying to find out how to disconnect the switch to see if maybe its just stuck............

Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

There is a small bearing in the clutch cover that has no lubrication so when you take the belt cover off check the seal and bearing and put some greese in it careful not to get any on clutches.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

I tried that with no difference. I am wondering now though. I did go through some deep water and did not drain the water right away from within the v-belt cover. If that is the issue what in there might have dried out and make that noise?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

Usually if water is in belt cover it will slip but not make any whining noise, if the noise if coming from that casing then possible belt is worn or some belt debree is on clutching.
Can you localize the noise?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

I cannot pin point the exact location but it is definitely behind the belt cover. When looking in there today there was some fine belt shavings but the belt still looks relatively new. My AC has about 650 miles on it. I did check for any debree back in the clutching but did not see anything.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

So when does the noise come on and quit? Is it when accelerating or deccelerating or all the time. My suspision is there is some belt cake on the clutch faces which makes a screaling noise usually at start up idle and into beginning of moving ATV but once rolling it should quit.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

This whining noise is only during acceleration and coasting. You can really hear the whining while coasting. But during idle all is fine.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winding Noise

yeah that sounds just like what my 500 is doing but it sounds like bearings when i hit the gas .maybe you could help both of us out lol.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winding Noise

Well the clutch system is quite simple with one exception that there is a small non-lubricated bearing on the casing that a shaft from engine clutch goes into for stabilization and torque, this bearing may be the culprit. The only other possibility is one of the clutches is dry and requires cleaning, this job requires clutch puller to remove engine clutch for service, rear drive clutch can be removed with wrench.

If you lubricate the case bearing and the noise goes away issue solved, go buy a new bearing and seal and replace cheap fix. If noise presists then the clutches need service and your local dealer can help, lubrication of clutching is something to be careful with so follow manufacture recomendations.

Quick Reply: Winding Noise