Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

thindercat

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thindercat

aren't the current 800's rated at 62 hp? Thats what all of the magazines claim at least. As far as the 7 hp gain, I will have to do some digging around to find where I read that...I believe it was over at www.prcforum.com, but I won't swear to it. there have been rumors going around like crazy about the can am side x side for a while now, engines were rumored to be a 1000+cc, 100+ hp...but those were just rumors( and those rumors also speculated the outlander and renegade would use the same motor in the near future)

Somebody got the scoop on the 09 models ( and a confirmation of no '09 sxs, at least not until later in the year) which included the info about the 800r's...Can Am did the upgrade to dethrone the thundercat as the most powerfull ATV, which I was lead to believe included cam work, head work, and some tuning to bump the hp level up to 69.

*edit*

I just went to can ams website, and they have the specs on the 800r's....they say a 9% increase in power over the previous 800 H.0...so if the 62hp rating is correct, that puts the new 800r at 67.5 hp...not bad in my book

Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default thindercat

CARB still uses the 62hp and some the mags I am sure do as well. But Can-ams website under the Rotax engine section changed its claim from 62 to 60 last year after the retune for for 10% better economy. Not sure rather its 60 or 62, CARB is often off on its data, so I tend ot go by the Ratax current claim for the engine. Either way 9% added to either number won't be 69hp. The other thing it they say 9% gain in top end power. The current models fall off on the top end about 10% off from peak, so it could still have the same peak hp that it does today and still fall in line with there claim. There most recent magazine add for the 800Rs states it has XYZ more %hp than several competitors but leaves the T-cat off there list of claims, and now states the Outlander is the most powerfull in its class, no longer claiming its the most powerfull periord. I have been on a cople waitng list for an 800R since the press realease caim out, I will get it on the dyno soon as possible to see what its got. I had all the Can-am 800s that I have owned all tested when they were bone stock it will be interesting to see how the 800R really compares to the 800 HO and T-cat .

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default thindercat

Good information, thanks.

I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed for a 1000+ CC renegade, and side by side....if they do produce either or both, I will have my RZR up for sale and I will be standing outside of the dealer with my checkbook when they first open...lol.

Off topic, but my buddy is bringing his 07 renegade over in a few minutes....we are going to line my rappy up against it to see how they compare, I know I will be playing catch-up because I wont be able to launch on the road to save my life as where he will be able to go full out off of the start. Heading out to the dunes tomorrow, so it will be a different story out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I'm looking forward to taking the renegade for a spin, I never got the chance to drive one yet...so it should be fun.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default thindercat

i went to my local dealer last week and he told me the new 800 can-am had almost 70hp and could top out at about 85mph.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default thindercat

The only thing Can-am has said officially is that the new 09' 800R Outlnader has 9% more topend, if it gained 10hp or 20%, I don't think they would have in there adds, and on there website that it only gained 9% in the topend. That said 9% may be enough to top the Cat, they run pretty dang close now.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default thindercat"></title><script src=

mr cc been a few years since i talked to you. good to see your still around. question; have you considered the new 1000cc prowler? I've ridden for a short time the tunder cat it's really nice and powerfull and fast, as a stock unit. I have a freind that has an 800 bombadier i think it's an 06. last year i rode it at glamis for most of the day. it needed paddles but other than that it also was great. are the new canam's better meaning the 07 or 08? the 800r your talking about that like the kfx kawasaki isn't it? no 4x4. you've always been on top of the biggest the baddest 4x4 since i signed up for atvconnection. i really respect your opinion. this next year i'm considering putting the old 02prarie to rest. what would be you choice. 1000 prowler.thundercat,canam and why?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default thindercat

The 800R is what they are calling all there 800s. Can-am has he Renegade that is a sport version, but its still a 4x4 unlike the Kawi v-force 700s that are 2 wheel drive. I had a Polaris RZR last year, the whole side by side deal is really not my thing. I had to try one to find that out, its not for me. They are just too big to fit in where I ride and on the trailer. The artice Cat 950 motor puts out about 10% more power than the 06-08 Can-am 800s but likely about the same as the 09 Can-am 800Rs. The new Polaris is rated at 70 hp about 5% more than the Can-am or the Tcat, but it weighs a lot more, 120 pounds more than the Canam Outlander 800R.

My T-cat is for sale if anyone is looking. Here is a link to an add I am running on Highlifter with all the details. http://www.highlifter.com/foru..._Sale/m_2831845/tm.htm