Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2001 Arctic Cat 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Arctic Cat 500

I have a 2001 Arctic Cat 500 auto. It will start fine when I first go to use it on the weekends, but if I shut it off even after a minute of running I have to wait at least 30 minutes to get it to start again. I did notice this week end if I shut the fuel off for a minute before turning it off I do not have to wait as long to get it started. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Arctic Cat 500

Almost sounds like it is flooding out. Usually happens when the needle valve on the float sticks from gunk in the float bowl. But, you usually see fuel running out the overflow on the side of the carb or back down the intake into the air filter/breather box OR worst case into the cylinder and around the rings into the oil (fuel mixed in with the oil is a bad thing).

First I would start by checking that no fuel was in the oil. Stick your finger in the oil fill hole pull it out and then smell it. If it smells too much like fuel, change your oil and filter.

Second I would start with nearly an empty gas tank and put about 1/2 a pint of Seafoam in the tank and run the engine for about 10-15 minutes. It may start to put out a bunch or white smoke and sputter a bit but its OK. Let it sit over night, top off the tank with fresh gas and ride it for a bit. The Seafoam may clean the varnished fuel and gunk from the carborator without having to take anything apart as well as some of the carbon off the valves. I use an once or so in every tank of gas and it has really helped. Seafoam is a fuel additive and is a stabalizer/cleaner/fuel dryer and you should be able to find it at most auto parts stores of full service gas stations.

Third thing you might try is to remove carborator and clean the float bowl. This is easiest if you remove the air box/filter first, then remove the side panels, throttle cable, choke cable, fuel line then the carb. Turn it over remove the float bowl's 4 screws, account for the o-ring. Using carb cleaner spray every hole you can (watch your face here). Blow out with compressed air if you have it. Reassemble in reverse order.

While doing this or before you might also check that you choke is functioning properly and not sticking in the open of closed position.

It may also be helpful if you have a service manual for the carb when you go to do that. If you do a search on here you will find a link to a manual or PM me and I can email you a schematic parts diagram for your carb. Also try looking at brownleisureworls.com because they have online parts microfiche that is helpful at times.

Hope this helps.

SJ